Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Senior scientific question equations???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Smile Senior scientific question equations???

Describe the reproductive system of the queen honeybee and the production of eggs.
    [10 marks]
    (b) The length of life of a worker honeybee (L) has been described by the equation

where P is the amount of pollen consumed, B is amount of brood reared, G is the CO2 level in the hive and K1 and K2 are constants.
    Give reasons why this equation would be reasonable.
    Any ideas what part B of this question is about or is there an equation missing. Why would I even need to know this stuff.

You need the equation.
    Presumably you want to pass the senior exams, to do that you need to know this stuff!

There must be such an equation published somewhere?

here's a starter...

A K - say K1 - must be a constant - say 3 weeks minimum life.
    Brood reared reduces the life of the bee - inversely proportional. i.e. 1/B.
    If P is greater then the bee will live longer.

Can anyone else add to this?

Quote Originally Posted by Greengage View Post
    Why would I even need to know this stuff.
    You don't...not to be a beekeeper anyway.

If you want the piece of paper to call yourself an 'expert' you need it.............but some of the 'experts' I have seen are little more than a hazard around bees.

Could I answers these questions satisfactorily?..................for the exam most definitely not. Does it matter for general beekeeping? Also definitely not.

You want mathematical equations and bees?
    Sharpen your pencils class ... check it out.
    And if you can't be bothered to read the entire thing (like me) then here's a taste of what you're missing:
    journal.pone.0130966.e004.PNG
    FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    You want mathematical equations and bees?
    Sharpen your pencils class ... check it out.
    And if you can't be bothered to read the entire thing (like me) then here's a taste of what you're missing:
    journal.pone.0130966.e004.PNG
    FFS.
    Blimey Fatshark. That's one hell of a report with some serious practical applications. You were missing out not reading it all.

Uses include.......1. The permanent treatment of insomnia. 2.The scientifically based solution to the 'shoogly table' problem. 3. In the case of 'site conflict' this could be used to initiate blunt force trauma of the cranial parts of the rival. 4. A very suitable alternative product to Triple Velvet, combining the benefits of that product with the Spartan properties of Izal. I am sure there are many more.....

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Calluna4u View Post
    Blimey Fatshark. That's one hell of a report with some serious practical applications. You were missing out not reading it all.

Uses include.......1. The permanent treatment of insomnia. 2.The scientifically based solution to the 'shoogly table' problem. ....
    I have a shoogly table! So, now I'll just have to read the paper. That will be bed-time reading: one page per evening, and I'll also benefit from the number one application.
    Kitta

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Its possibly erroneous as it lumps the drones in with the workers as "only a small proportion of the hive caste". I'd be inclined to debate that point as they are drain on hive resources, a negative influence....plus no factor for bad weather.
    And who cares...
    Last edited by Thymallus; 13-04-2018 at 08:22 PM.

Blog Entries

The fat bodies and the Hypopharyngeal glands can be physically examined, however there is a further difference which cannot be seen and that is the respiration of the colony. Corkins and Gilbert (1932) measured the respiration rate by the amount of CO2 produced in March and July in two virtually identical clusters of 12,000 worker bes each with a queen but with no brood. With the clusters at the same temperature the CO2 output of the summer cluster was X2 that of the winter cluster. Here it is noted that anaesthetisation of workers or queens with nithrgen or carbon dioxide shortens their lives. Thus, conversely the reduction of CO2 level in the winter cluster lengthens the life of the queen and her workers. This now enables us to make the formula for the life of the bee more complete as follows:
    The life of the worker bee =L a Pollen consumed(P) /(brood reared (B) X CO2 level)
    Or L= (K, P / B.CO2) +K2 where K1 and K2 are constants.
    Beekeeping notes study book orange page 54.

Blog Entries

(b) The length of life of a worker honeybee (L) has been described by the equation
    where P is the amount of pollen consumed, B is amount of brood reared, G is the CO2 level in the hive and K1 and K2 are constants.
    Give reasons why this equation would be reasonable.

The life of the worker bee =L a Pollen consumed(P) /(brood reared (B) X (G) CO2 level)
    This equation relates to a 1932 study by Corkins and Gilbert where the respiration rate of a hive of honey bees was measured in relation to the amount of CO2 produced. Both hives had approx. 12,00 bees with a queen but no brood. Both hives were kept at a constant temperature and it was noted that the summer cluster produced twice the amount of CO2 than that of the winter cluster. During summer with extra ventilation this had no effect on the colony but the extra amounts of CO2 within the hive during the winter appears to shorten the life of the queen and workers. This allowed them to create the formula for the life of a bee as seen above.
    The life of the worker bee =L a Pollen consumed(P) /(brood reared (B) X (G) CO2 level)
    Or L= (K, P / B.CO2) +K2 where K1 and K2 are constants.
    In the above equation K1 refers to time a bee spends inside the hive and K2 refers to time spent outside the hive (Foraging) excess CO2 inside the hive slows down bee functions eventually leading to death especially during winter when bees are confined within the hive, therefore this proves the need for ventilation within the hive during times that the bees are confined, this could also affect bees when moved to different locations or confined to the hive during spraying operations.
    Pollen is an important source of protein for honey bees early in the season but not all pollen for e.g Dandelion pollen contains all the enzymes required for a worker bee to build protein as some are missing. As brood numbers increase, and some bees may have died from excess CO2 within the hive some workers skip duties and are required to forage this increases the stress on the colony as workers are not building protein and there are not enough bees to keep the brood at a constant temperature leading to dwindling colony numbers.
    http://repository.uwyo.edu/cgi/viewc..._sta_bulletins