Thread: Secret talks and other matters tut tut

Blog Entries

Default Secret talks and other matters tut tut

A number of behind closed door meetings have taken place between Beekeeping organisations government officials and other stakeholders to discuss the matter of invasive plants in Ireland. It has being pointed out by government officials that Beekeepers have contributed to the spread of invasive species such as Dandelions, Ragwort, Himalayan balsam, Willowherb and Winter heliotrope and that this is not acceptable and must be addressed.

Government officials are currently in negotiation with the European union on the new agriculture policy talks and the issue of invasive plants is high on the agenda. Funding for a new round of payments is related to Government officials addressing this issue.

It has being agreed that bee-keeping representative bodies will levy their members so that a study group can be set up to monitor the spread of these plants. This will entail a subvention of 5€ per hive being passed onto dept of Agriculture, which will be collected by representing bodies.

It has also being proven during these meetings that honey bees are not necessary to securing our food security or products for export, as they are not seen as important pollinators in our ecological system.

Our native indigenous pollinators such as Bumble bees, solitary flies and Midges have being recognised as being more successful.

Government officials also indicated their concern that the Asian hornet was located in a number of sites in England last year and have expressed concerns that if it does arrive on these shores the number of Bee hives in the country will assist its spread, therefore representing bodies have agreed to register all honey bee hives in the country and reduce the number any one person can keep to a Max of five.

Reluctantly it has being accepted that Bee keepers have enormously contributed to the importation of pests such as varroa mite and overseen the spread of AFB and EFB and have not reported these matters to the authorities or dealt with their members to ensure colonies and hives were destroyed. This will not be tolerated and must be addressed. Otherwise a levy will be imposed on those bee keepers not co-Operating.

The symbiotic relationship between honey bees and the Mexican Honey wasp ( Brachygastra mellifica) has been kept secret from bee keepers by representing organisations, Questions have being raised as to why this has continued, government officials have said that this is not acceptable, as Honey wasps are known to have a symbiotic relationship with Apis millifera sp. are predators of Varroa and do not kill honey bees. There are a number of colonies already located in collages throughout the country and Queens are ready to be distributed in the next few weeks. Representing organisations have agreed to facilitate the distribution of the Mexican Honey wasp to all Aperies through their member associations.

A number of Honey bee associations have agreed to desist from keeping Honey bees and focus on the use of carrot pollinators such as Callifora vomitoria. http://www.bcseeds.org/carrot-pollinators-part-i/
    Research has been ongoing in designated areas in both Donegal and Mayo where the soil conditions for the growing of carrots is excellent. This will play an important roll in future exports to European countries where we will become major exporters of both carrots and its pollinator Callifora vomitoria as a result of agreements during the Brexit negotiations.

The meeting ended with all parties agreeing to meet again later in the month to review matters and allow beekeeping organisations to liaise with their associations to select members to participate on the new body on invasive species, implement ways of collecting the monies due, distribute the Mexican Honey wasp and allow more bee keepers change over to maintaining and breeding Carrot Pollinators Callifora vomitoria.

It is disappointing that these talks were held in secret and local members were not consulted before hand, especially on APRIL 1st Just when bee-keepers were looking forward to the season ahead.

I don't know whether to slit my wrists or throw myself in the river. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Lad View Post
    I don't know whether to slit my wrists or throw myself in the river. :-)
    Why? Over being April Fooled?

Steady, there is only one Phil Chandler .

Thanks for the post Greengage!

Blog Entries