Thread: stacking or storing frames

Default stacking or storing frames

Silly question really but thought I would consult the hive mind.

I've recently built a wee workshop where I do my bee stuff. I'm putting together frames at the moment prior to waxing them but they are a pain to store neatly - especially when you have kids that pile into the room and send a stack of hundreds clattering to the floor. Has anyone built rungs along a ceiling or anything that you can slide them onto and keep out the way ? I am sure I saw a beefarmer down south doing it this way.

How do you stack your frames ?

There are quite a few images on the web showing solutions to this GG (Google - frames, storage, bees, images). I've been meaning to do this in my own bee shed but - like so many things - have yet to get round to it. Headroom is an issue for tall beekeepers or short sheds.

Here's one ...

491a46b8ab5489f34cc8391ddd0fb67c.jpg

... blatantly stolen. Looks like some sort of simple U-profile plastic track.

PS Why don't you train the kids to make the frames so they'd take a bit more care?

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Default stacking or storing frames

I use B&Q folding crates, but with foam inserts at the ends to keep the frames from falling over when the crate is half full - not ideal, but easier than keeping them in empty brood or super boxes.
    Kitta
    Ps: those are mostly frames that need to be cleaned, boiled, and rewaxed.

Last edited by Mellifera Crofter; 22-02-2018 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    There are quite a few images on the web showing solutions to this GG (Google - frames, storage, bees, images). I've been meaning to do this in my own bee shed but - like so many things - have yet to get round to it. Headroom is an issue for tall beekeepers or short sheds.

Here's one ...

491a46b8ab5489f34cc8391ddd0fb67c.jpg

... blatantly stolen. Looks like some sort of simple U-profile plastic track.

PS Why don't you train the kids to make the frames so they'd take a bit more care?

I really should learn to use google. That looks spot on. Headroom not an issue for me as you probably know !!

Cheers !

I actually have about 8 of these boxes lying in the very same workshop. Unfortunately I think they dont fit my langstroths but should work with my nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by greengumbo View Post
    I really should learn to use google. That looks spot on. Headroom not an issue for me as you probably know !!
    I was wondering why all your hive stands were ankle-height

Plastic trunking stuck to a batten of softwood to provide rigidity was what I've considered using.

Kitta, your frames are a lot better than many of mine!