Thread: Asian Hornet

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default Asian Hornet

So far there have been no recorded sightings of the Asian Hornet here in Ireland. It may not show up then again it is possible that it could make the trip across the Irish sea. If it is located the advice from the Dept. of Ag is that you must" please notify the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine (DAFM) of any suspect Asian hornets, providing as much information as possible (location, photos etc.). If it is possible please
    send a dead sample to DAFM for examination. The specimens can be killed by placing them in domestic freezer overnight. If collecting a sample please take all necessary precautions as hornets can sting".

Great what then?? Do any associations in Scotland have a risk assessment plan or critical incident plan in place in the event of one being found. I was think in of putting something together for our Apiary here.
    it would go along the lines of , Observation of Apiary in spring when Queens may be around, Placing some traps around the apiary, If one was spotted getting the specimen confirmed as an Asian Hornet and while waiting for confirmation that one had being found, to place some defensive mechanism around hives to prevent hornets gaining access ( have not figured this out yet) observing flight lines from Hives if they show up getting maps to check other aperies in the locality and possible nesting sites. making other beekeepers aware of the situation through Local associations or face book. I don't know what the plan would be from the Dept. of Ag to eliminate a nest if located. What do others do, is there a plan for local beekeepers to do something before action is taken by the Dep.t of ag or the media run with stories of Killer hornets.

DON'T PANIC! - would be Corporal Jones advice. The National Bee Unit (Animal and Plant Health Agency) South West Regional Report for 2017 discusses dealing with hornets. Find the nest - destroy the nest seems to be the plan.

Blog Entries

I would just be curious, I would deal with the situation myself as I don't think you could depend of the Dept of Ag. when driving home in four lanes of traffic I was thinking how many of these people would be aware of the environment or what is going on around them, I suspect very few, then i doubt if they would be interested in an Asian Hornet unless it was reported on radio "Killer Hornets invade Ireland" then it would be a one hour wonder. I mentioned it at work today as these people work outdoors no one expressed any interest, when I showed the pic i had one said sure there is hundreds of them around, There is not as I would know but that is where it is at. I put a poster up the Apiary asking if members of the public notice something unusual to let me know it will be an interesting social experiment to see the reaction. IF and only IF one was spotted it would be better to organise local beekeepers to search for the source than some desk environmentalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Greengage View Post
    I would just be curious, I would deal with the situation myself as I don't think you could depend of the Dept of Ag. .
    Not sure if you have the same laws of trespass, but a bunch of hairy eared Bee keepers wandering willy nilly may cause hackles to rise. Then you have the problem of how to destroy the nest! Ladders and suits of armor required.
    Not a job I would like to tackle.
    There is a control method of painting a pesticide Fibronil onto captured hornets, releasing them to return to nets and poison their fellows. Guy in Portugal developed it (Mazzamazda). A link to the posts detailing it's use on another forum are here.

Someone posted a really interesting video (on bkf, massadamata?) of himself zapping hornets with a tennis racquet zapper thingy to stun them then painting them with mustard and insecticide and letting them go to go home and kill the nest, said it was very effective at reducing hornet predation at his hives, in Portugal iirc, not sure about the ongoing risk to wildlife mind, birds and rodents would probably eat the contents of the poisoned nest.
    Last edited by mbc; 01-02-2018 at 08:25 AM.

There was some talk of lures for hornet drones - although at the moment trapping seems to be the best course of action. Or breeding that fly that lays its eggs in the queen hornet.