Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foraging temepratures

Blog Entries

Default Foraging temepratures

Just looking out the window at my heather plants , Sunday 19/11/17 @ 13-45 hrs - I count at least 5 bees foraging on them and the temp is exactly 8.0 Degrees C as measured using a scientific Hannah thermocouple thermometer and it feels cold ! and no sun very cloudy

Barely 7 degC here and they're not even venturing out for a crap, shame as there's a mountain of ivy 50m from the hives!

7 degrees on the weekend and bees still bringing in pollen.

Never saw ivy flower in Aberdeenshire so global warming must be having an effect.

PH

If you read Jambo's post in a certain way it looks like (s)he wants the bees to defecate on the ivy

Default Foraging temepratures

I'm not mad about my neighbour but haven't got to the level of willing my bees to defecate on his ivy just yet!

PH - it's my first year keeping bees and thus my first year taking much interest in the flowering of weeds, but I assume from its abundance that it is has flowered and set seed prior to this year!
    Last edited by Jambo; 23-11-2017 at 09:59 PM.

As I say never seen it flower and the only report I have ever heard of reporting a flow was by Dundee.

It flows down south right enough but very very rarely in Scotland. May provide some pollen though.

PH

Blog Entries

Some years there are massive flows from ivy in NI and there is always abundant pollen. Mine were still bringing in ivy pollen at the start of this week. Well clustered today though. 2c at the moment.

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Yesterday it was 3 degrees and a few of my bees were putting out some bodies and then flying around till they dropped in the snow and . Sun was shining though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Yesterday it was 3 degrees and a few of my bees were putting out some bodies and then flying around till they dropped in the snow and . Sun was shining though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hi Bridget
    I think you are right
    When they see the sun they will venture out even below the normally suggested 10C
    If they are not out long they get back in OK
    Ron Brown recommended a normal style entrance with panel pins driven in at intervals to keep the mice out
    They may be better than the (Thornes) hole punched metal strip type of mouse guards which can get very very cold
    I have a couple of nucs up high on a shelf facing South and they are often out when the others in shadier spots are staying indoors
    I'm hiding indoors myself at the moment it's pretty cold here but dry at least no snow (they land on snow and can't get off again)