Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Avid Beekeeper Visiting Scotland

I have both out on my stall and the wooden ones are used more frequently than the plastic ones. So when the last plastic have gone I'll be all wood..... The customer is always right......and being an atypical Yorkshire-man I stopped cutting them in half as I was contaminating them by extra handling.
    As Fatshark points out you can't easily sample cut comb with the plastic stirrer's and I find lining them all up the right way round to put into my sample pot is a faff.

Gavin,
    At the inspections while I was over there, insurance was mentioned. Is it usually obtained through the Associations or clubs? I failed to ask what it covered and how popular it is. Online references indicate it's for loss if hives must be destroyed due to disease. Anything else like liability? Do most beekeepers obtain it? (It's for a presentation I'm putting together)
    Also, did anyone take pictures while I was speaking? I'd be grateful if they would share them with me.

OK, found my notes about insurance. All set there. I'd still love a pic or two if any turn up.

Blog Entries

Sorry, I've been up in the Angus glens, collecting ticks (apparently!).

Yes, two types come automatically with membership of the Scottish Beekeepers Association*. The compensation scheme, covered by a fund held by the SBA, for fire, theft, vandalism, destruction due to 'notifiable disease'. The insurance scheme, underwritten by a major company, for public and product liability. All for the £35 individuals pay for annual membership (and a host of other benefits of course). Just in case your notes weren't comprehensive :-) .

We have a different attitude to disease compared to what I read on US sites. Here we either welcome (most of us) or grudgingly accept (a minority) (folk resistant are very rare) the governmental inspection service and the regulations that require us to destroy (often, or sometimes shook swarm) any hives with confirmed foulbrood disease. The SBA compensation scheme helps that.

As for pics, I don't remember any at the lecture. Janice or Enid might know about the outdoor meeting.

* There is difference here from England (with Wales?) and Northern Ireland. We have separate membership of the national association and of local associations (which can, if they wish, affliliate to the SBA as an organisation but that doesn't mean its members are SBA members). The BBKA and the UBKA gather members largely from an additional fee which folk pay their local associations as part of their annual membership. I'm sure it is something to do with that extra 'K' they put in their acronym but can't quite fathom it. Over to the SBAi posters to sort that one ....

G.
    Last edited by gavin; 07-08-2018 at 02:25 PM.

Blog Entries

Best I can do! With apologies to Mark at the SBA AGM. My, you *are* a large fellow!

Last edited by gavin; 07-08-2018 at 02:19 PM.

Thank you, Gavin! -Dan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brushwoodnursery View Post
    Thank you, Gavin! -Dan
    You *did* spot that it was crudely Photoshopped (well, Gimped) I hope! Just checking .....

G :-)

Oh, yes. Good for a morning laugh!

If any do turn up, I'd be grateful.
    And you're right about the opinion of regulatory officials over here. I don't understand it. My experience has been uniformly positive and I've had my share of difficult situations.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brushwoodnursery View Post
    If any do turn up, I'd be grateful.
    Janice and Enid don't recall any being taken unfortunately.