Thread: SBA website search functionality?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default SBA website search functionality?

A search for "Apiarian" brought up the RHS 2017??????????? Or after several tries I take it that means no results. So if someone was interested in looking at the requirements they may very well rapidly lose interest.

Sorry to say this is not the only non search result I have encountered so might someone have a look at fine tuning the search please?

PH

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

I don't think the in-site search facility works very well. You may have to be more specific than just 'apiarian' - but when I put it in the search box, I got links to various SBA exams (some out of date). For a lot of sites it's sometimes easier to do a Google search rather than using their own search button - for example, in Google, type 'SBA apiarian'.
    Kitta

Yes.... but if someone is on the SBA site and like me sees the search function it is reasonable to expect a search for an SBA item to come up?

PH

Advanced search ... keyword ... turned up two threads. This one and the Advanced Beemaster in which it gets several hits.

Screenshot 2017-11-01 18.21.49.png

I suspect the IT budget doesn't stretch to re-coding the search facility in vBulletin which is what we're reliant on. Fortunately, we all have great memories ...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Poly Hive View Post
    Yes.... but if someone is on the SBA site and like me sees the search function it is reasonable to expect a search for an SBA item to come up?

PH
    I don't see the problem, Pete. The search box on the SBA site for 'apiarian' gives six hits that give you all you want on the Apiarian and nothing on RHS 2017. Did you type Apiarian correctly? Like Kitta I sometimes step back to Google and if you add either SBA or Scottish Beekeepers you get a similar result.

The search facility for SBAi is - as fatshark implies - not as good (and isn't easy to improve) so I often just go to Google and add 'SBAi'.

Well Gavin I just tried it again so maybe I need a reboot but with a cap or low case I get nothing for apiarian. Over to you.

PH

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

I don't understand, PH. Like Gavin, the site's own search facility gives six results no matter which page I start the search on, or whether I use capitals or lower case letters. Below is a screenshot of half of the page up to number 2.
    Kitta
    Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 19.03.55.jpg