Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SBA website search functionality?

FWIW, .... I get the same results as Fatshark. I am sure that it's not worth the effort or cost in changing anything. A couple of hours of an IT guy could be better spent: DNA analysis of some near-native bees; loads of fondant to overwinter colonies on; a couple of hives; a stun ray-gun.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Madasafish and Adam, you've both searched the forum (as did Fatshark), not the SBA website which is what PH enquired about.
    Kitta

I would have thought that the IT guy would be spending his time very wisely getting the site to function as nothing puts people of more than stuff that is broken. I pay mine for that very reason.

PH

Wait ... what? There's an SBA website?

D'oh!

"My bad" as a well-educated but irritatingly illiterate kid might say.

PS Googling Apiarian and scottishbeekeepers.org.uk returns 188 hits.
    Last edited by fatshark; 02-11-2017 at 11:28 PM. Reason: PS

Hmm it may well do but that is not my point. A visitor will expect as I do that on the site the search works. And frankly it don't.

I got 191 but the vast majority are nothing to do with "Apiarian" which was my original query as I had never heard of it so..........I will suggest to Jackie that she gets some poor soul to do an article on the exam structure.

PH

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Poly Hive View Post
    Hmm it may well do but that is not my point. A visitor will expect as I do that on the site the search works. And frankly it don't.

I got 191 but the vast majority are nothing to do with "Apiarian" which was my original query as I had never heard of it so..........I will suggest to Jackie that she gets some poor soul to do an article on the exam structure.

PH
    If Kevin doesn't comment on here himself I'll let you know the outcome. In the meantime here are the search results me and Kitta see when we use the search facility. 'Frankly it don't' seems a bit strong unless it is true that your problems reflect a widespread problem.

1. SBA Exams - Application Deadline (31 January 2017)
    (Events / Exams) ... the practical examinations. Practical Examinations: Basic Beemaster, Junior Beekeeper, Intermediate Practical, The Apiarian – Apply by 10th April Module examinations: March diet – Apply by 31st January ...
    Created on 13 November 2016
    2. Advanced Practical Application (Product) Click to check the exam application deadline has not passed The Advanced Practical Examination - The Apiarian, is designed to give knowledgable beekeepers the confidence to mentor new and less experienced ... Created on 07 December 2016
    3. Microscopy Exam Application - 2018 (Product) ... the Scottish Apiarian Examination. The requirements to sit the microscopy examination is that the candidate must be a member of the SBA and hold either a Basic Beemaster/Beekeeping Certificate or Junior ... Created on 07 December 2016
    4. Microscopy (Education) ... the Scottish Apiarian Examination. The requirements to sit the microscopy examination is that the candidate must be a member of the SBA and hold either a Basic Beemaster/Beekeeping Certificate or Junior ... Created on 04 January 2016
    5. Advanced Practical - Apiarian (Education) Advanced Practical - The Apiarian Certificate The Advanced Practical Examination is designed to give knowledgable beekeepers the confidence to mentor new and less experienced beekeepers ... Created on 04 January 2016
    6. Exams and Fees (Education) ... £30 - Apiarian Practical £15 - SBA Beekeeping Trainer Certificate ...

Number 5 and the links when you get there are probably what you are looking for.

The 'Learn' drop-down menu on this excellent web site (put together by our superb and entirely unpaid web master) gives you easy direct access to these files too.

The article on the exam structure is already written. Learn > The SBA Examination System

https://www.scottishbeekeepers.org.u...n%20System.pdf
    Last edited by gavin; 03-11-2017 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    PS Googling Apiarian and scottishbeekeepers.org.uk returns 188 hits.
    Can you publish a screen grab of your result, Fatshark? Also PH - can't you do that as well?
    Kitta

Blog Entries

I don't think that Google's ability to pull out hits is the issue, but a screenshot of PH's attempt on the SBA's main website might be helpful.

For what its worth, I've tried inserting 'Apiarian' (case immaterial) in the search box here: 'www.scottishbeekeepers.org.uk' and done so in devices with three different operating systems:

- Linux (Mint)
    - Android
    - Windows 10

... and in every case I get 6 hits, the ones pasted above. The only way I get no hits is to (deliberately) misspell Apiarian.

So here's a question: can anyone replicate PH's zero hits when doing the search described above?

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    I don't think that Google's ability to pull out hits is the issue, but a screenshot of PH's attempt on the SBA's main website might be helpful. ...
    "Wait ... What? ..."

Now my turn for a 'my bad'. Of course, Fatshark's 188 result was a Google search result - now a website result.

On a Mac I also get 6 hits ... but, being a Mac, they're cooler and hipper hits

Screenshot 2017-11-03 10.44.53.jpg