Thread: Senior scietific exams.

Blog Entries

Default Senior scietific exams.

Anyone interested in discussing senior scientific exam questions and queries. I wont bore you if your not interested.

Yes.
    It's along winter, grey cells need some exercise.

Blog Entries

Describe the Pheromone glands of the honey bee? that was the question but all answers I see mention the Mandibular glands, and Salivary glands are they technically pheromone glands as they don't have ducts to the external skeleton.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Both glands have ducts outwards, but only the mandibular gland produces pheremones (but it's more complicated than that, depending on whether she is a queen or a worker, and the age of the worker). The pheremone gland you're probably most familiar with and have seen a lot in action is the Nasanov gland at the tip of the worker's abdomen - but there are quite a few more.

I highly recommend Celia Davis, 'The Honey Bee Inside Out'. That book has helped me enormously to understand the working of bees a bit better - but I have a lot more to learn.
    Kitta

Blog Entries

I Have listed the following Mandibular Gland, Dufor Gland (Alkaline Gland), Arnhart Gland (Footprint or Trail Gland) Nasanov gland, Renner Baumann Gland (Tegrite Gland) Koschevnikos Gland, and Wax Glands, I also added Mandibular glands. When answering the question.

Wax glands produce wax - not pheremones.
    Kitta

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    Wax glands produce wax - not pheremones.
    Kitta
    Agree but the question keeps coming up similar to this, Name the pheromone glands of the honey bee? and Name the exocrine glands of the honey bee? and the same answer keeps coming up including the wax glands.
    A pheromone is a chemical substance produced and released into the environment by an animal, especially a mammal or an insect, affecting the behavior or physiology of others of its species.
    when wax is laid down, bees walking on it pick up scent from the hive so technically it could be included, what do you think,

GG, I think wax has a smell, it does not produce a pheremone that tells the bees, for example, "Oi, this hive is feeling ill"; or "oi, fill me with brood".

The bees do use their wax combs for information, though - but that is through vibration. Read Jürgen Tautz, "The Buzz about Bees'.

Kitta