Thread: Fondant source

Default Fondant source

Not having access to a baker at present nor are Bookers stocking it (they tell me) I did a bit of a trawl this afternoon and found an offer that turned to be from a couple of years ago but... on rebooting the site it turned out that they do in fact sell:

https://www.cake-stuff.com/edibles-c...-ordering-p863

So I took advantage of the free posting over £75 and bought 7 blocks. Just had a mail to say it is dispatched and will have it with in the net 48 hours so not bad at all delivery.

Will update as to how it turns out in reality.

Arrived this morning on time.

PH
    Last edited by Poly Hive; 13-10-2017 at 03:57 PM.

Blog Entries

Bookers have 50k sugar for £28 which is not a bad price although getting too late to feed syrup now.
    My local fondant supplier charges £11.70 for a 12.5k box. I think there is discount for buying larger amounts.

Why is it getting too late for syrup? Surely it depends on the current conditions not the calendar? GTBH and say I have fed syrup into November with no issues.

This season my hives are stuffed with HB and are bringing in ivy pollen in a stream so there is brood in there yet.

Every year is different and interesting for it.

PH

If you are feeding steadily with time in between feeds the bees move it to the outside combs and get it concentrated down
    If its late then it tends to be a rush with loads going on at one time and it gets stuck into the combs directly under the feeder if its in the centre
    Beekeepers with deep pockets feed Ambrosia etc which is already more concentrated and get away with putting it all on in short order
    Skinflints like me with time on their hands feed steadily throughout September if they don't go to the heather
    The weather in Scotland can change very rapidly and leaving it late to feed can get you caught out or spending extra dosh
    Murray will be along in a minute to say he gets all his comb drawn and feeds in October no problems

I have used the cake-stuff fondant and my advice would be cut it up while the temperature is good (like at the moment)
    I put it in the bee shed and tried to cut it in January
    It was hard as a brick so it just ended up gradually being used for mini nucs over a couple of seasons
    I still have one box left now

DR ... if you keep the fondant wrapped up it remains cutupable (?) with a spade or a breadknife if it's warmed a bit. When it's really cold it's more trouble to handle. When it's dried out it's terrible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Bookers have 50k sugar for £28 which is not a bad price although getting too late to feed syrup now.
    My local fondant supplier charges £11.70 for a 12.5k box. I think there is discount for buying larger amounts.
    It's getting too late as I have noticed they are struggling to take it down.

Problems with cutting it? Well mine must be very different as I can honestly say it has never been a problem. I bought a serrated long knife from Lakeland and it works a treat. Actually to be truthful that knife lived out doors for near 5 years under a wheelbarrow which in turn covered the fondant which was on site for emergencies. Never been sharpened either.

PH

Blog Entries

cuttung fondant ---- just use a garden spade

I resurrect hard foundant by spraying it with a fine mist of water and covering with clingfilm and leaving for 2+ days. (It's the Aberdonian in me)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    It's getting too late as I have noticed they are struggling to take it down.
    farm foods were 2 one kilo bags for £1 might still be I bought it all there

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk