Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kieler mini nucs?

Default Kieler mini nucs?

Anyone have experience of this type of mini and in particular over wintering them?

PH

Yes, both.

Overwintered with upper chamber on, so a nominal 6 frames on each level. Fondant block above. Also used a frame feeder to contain fondant, rather than the wasteful poly container that's supplied with them. Only used them for a couple of winters with perhaps 50% success rate, or less.

A mating nucs, they're fine.

Yes, as fatshark, fine as mating nucs but diminished returns trying to overwinter them even when doubled up and combined.

Yes used with success. Trying to overwinter queen in extended one with poly cover...(full of bees , very active)

Hmm mine don't have an upper chamber so I wonder if we are talking about the same item. Takes 6 frames with the feed compartment not in use. I'll see about a photo if I can later.

PHDSCF2274[1].jpg
    Last edited by Poly Hive; 02-10-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Hmmm ... looks like an older model perhaps.

This is the one I have:
    https://www.modernbeekeeping.co.uk/c...nt=39863616974

And here is the upper chamber
    https://www.modernbeekeeping.co.uk/c...nt=39863621454

LOL no perhaps at all I was given most of mine by Bernard Mobus so they are a good 27 years in my possession and who knows how long he had them before that. I wonder if the top would fit mine as I am not seeing dimensions on the site you linked to.

I did a sort of half hearted attempt some years ago using an old fish box as a "cosy" so am thinking of making up some cosies and ekes to put fondant in and wintering on the 6 bars. If it works it's a bonus and if not well well no great loss.

PH

Blog Entries

You can stack up Apideas as much as you like as well

No doubt Jon but I don't have any of them and am not planning on spending out when I already have 20+ Kieler units.

PH

Blog Entries

I haven't used Kielers for overwintering but I have tried them out for general summer use. They work ok but it's worth spending the extra couple of quid per unit to work with Apideas imho. The Kielers don't have a firm inner plastic cover with a slot for a queen cell so you have to immediately start adapting things if you want to use ripe queen cells. The inner cover also tends to leak bees as the bees can push it up when the lid is removed. The poly also appears to be a little less dense than the poly in an Apidea and bees and wasps can chew holes where you dont want them. MBC and others will be on to sing the virtues of the mini plus in a minute.