Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weight of a poly super

Sorry but not sure Murray. The cage may still be on site I will have a look.

How do I space them? I pick them up and put them in and it takes 8 as it has always done with a bit of space left over which will not take another frame Manley of Hofman.

I tested the scales with 5 x 2kg bags of sugar this morning and to my surprise it read........................10kg. So dear all the super I weighed was right at 39lbs.

PHDSCF2265[1].jpgDSCF2263[1].jpg

So 8 frames in in a well used super some 10 years old or so with 30 odd mmm left over. Not enough room for a 9th.

PH
    Last edited by Poly Hive; 25-09-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calluna4u View Post
    Then you have a chance of getting close to that figure. There will be virtually zero clingage left and the wax is a commodity too.

If it was as full as that maybe you wrote down which line number it was that heads that colony? I am sure Jolanta would like to know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use Langstroth shallow supers (approx 15% shallower than normal supers). I weigh each super# before and after extraction so I know roughly the weight of honey per super/hive. (OCD I know)

Maximum honey weight of any filled super 22lbs (not completely full). Average 19lbs. Weight of poly super plus drawn out frames approx 10lbs .. so total weight 32 lbs or 14.5Kg.

# Bathroom digital scales - stand on carrying super...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Itching to know what you wrote in reply lol......nothing showing up that I can see.

Must be busy today Murray?

Nothing shoing here either so said nothing in reply.

madasafish? Totally different to my experience. A normal full Langstroth super should be weighing north of 40 lbs. Nearer to 50 actually. As said a full nat poly is weighing 39lbs here. I fear your definition of full and mine are a tad different.

PH

Sorry Had nothing to say. I was just reading the thread and my fat fingers got in the way and pressed the wrong buttons!

Quote Originally Posted by Poly Hive View Post

madasafish? Totally different to my experience. A normal full Langstroth super should be weighing north of 40 lbs. Nearer to 50 actually. As said a full nat poly is weighing 39lbs here. I fear your definition of full and mine are a tad different.

PH
    Stuck at base waiting for the electrician to come and fix the extractor...and also had the Belgosuc tanker coming at lunchtime (been and gone).

He did mention Langstroth shallow....that's not the normal depth used in the UK that is actually called a medium throughout the world and a Dadant depth in the UK (we always HAVE to be different). The shallow box is with frames only around 5" tall and is often used for comb honey production. If your exposure is via either of the main historic Scottish users then you are talking mediums, a bigger box altogether.

Ah! Bloody linguistics again. I have heard Lang supers called shallows you see. God it gets confusing.

Over working the extractor eh? Or far too much honey...lol

PH

PH
    I wrote ""
    Maximum honey weight of any filled super 22lbs (not completely full)"

:-)

Ah! Bloody linguistics again. I have heard Lang supers called shallows you see. God it gets confusing.

Over working the extractor eh? Or far too much honey...lol

PH
    Sadly this is us trying to get started. Isn't technology great. Prefer old style ones with manual controls myself. Seems to be a fault in the very involved control box...loads of settings...and one appears to be not allowing power to go to the motor. Involves clearing and resetting a load of parameters and the main programmes are also likely to need reset.