Thread: Queen seen, but not laying|

Default Queen seen, but not laying|

I have a small colony that has a queen, I have seen her today, but there is little brood and no eggs seen. Is she finished, or is she just taking a break? Also there has been no attempt to supercede or swarm, no queen cells present.
    Last edited by darlo; 20-08-2017 at 11:56 AM.

Not sure where you are in Fife but unless you've got some balsam nearby there may not be much nectar coming in. Under those conditions she often stops, or at least slows considerably, her laying. Mine are now almost all being fed for the winter. Season's over

Quote Originally Posted by darlo View Post
    I have a small colony that has a queen, I have seen her today, but there is little brood and no eggs seen. Is she finished, or is she just taking a break? Also there has been no attempt to supercede or swarm, no queen cells present.
    Is this a marked queen who was laying previously ?
    If so as fatshark says thats likely to be Ok

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

How old is the queen? Older queens will slow down sooner than young ones. If the colony is noticeably smaller than others, then she may be on the way out.

They are both captured swarms, so unsure of age, neither are marked, however after feeding with sugar syrup, they both have started laying again so fingers crossed they will build up enough for the winter.