Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a bit of Moray advice

Hi Hoomin_erra,

Just surfing the forum and came across your post about not knowing if your beees are native black. If you want I can do a quick drawwing morph plot on them for you which gives you the percentage of Amm characteristics in your colony. Just e-mail me if you would like it done and I will send you details of how to collect and send the sample etc

Jimbo

Yes this is Donald from ELBKA - hope I didn't advise you to buy bees here and then move them north ...... I do think it would be best to sell them on to people here (maybe you could make a profit ....) and get some local bees up north - contact the local secretary in Moray and see what they think but I know what my answer would be if I was the secretary. If you do want to sell, tell Jo Dodds (and / or the Edinburgh Association) and she will alert the membership that there are bees for sale.

Donald

No, you didn't advise to buy and move. We weren't expecting to move north so soon, but the dream arrived sooner than expected.

I'll contact Jo and tell her to pass the word.

Blog Entries

Alternatively you did say that you could perhaps overwinter them near Edinburgh. That would give you a chance to get in touch with local beekeepers and find out their Varroa status. As for foulbrood, probably at least as big a risk in the Cabrach as in the Borders. But - in general - local is best.