Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Heather ops

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Quote Originally Posted by Poly Hive View Post
    Is the heather over? Not the flowering but the flow.

PH
    Not in my area near Kingussie. Bees still very busy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Not in my area near Kingussie. Bees still very busy

One of my guys was up at Rothiemurchus and Phones yesterday working bees and I can confirm what Brigit says. still significant fresh nectar. Weather forecast so so for next few days but I see a potential for warm weather for 10 to 12 days after that......

However.....in Deeside yesterday it looked as if the heather has another week. Large tracts are 70% brown already, but where the bees are in forest the understory heather remains vibrant. Working hard in cold weather on high places, a lot quieter lower down...which was odd.

At my exposed sites in Angus still seems to be some activity in recent days, lots of pollen coming in certainly. However, my heather ops have not turned out great. 6 colonies taken to the heather, 3 swarmed (2 caught), 2 Qs with superb laying patterns unfortunately through the thin foundation super. That leaves 1 colony where everything gone to plan. One swarm housed itself under the floor of a hive that was sitting on a tyre, I assume this might be the clipped Q who did not get far. Been there awhile and it took me a bit of time to dismantle the setup, get as many bees into a nuc box, remove the comb (brood and stores) and have a long look for a Q. Did not see her so its the "bees in a box and wait to see what happens" scenario. Those of you who have carried out inspections and manipulations in the hills, in the drizzle and mist, with midges and bees paying you close attention will understand how it all went.

Quote Originally Posted by Calluna4u View Post
    One of my guys was up at Rothiemurchus and Phones yesterday working bees and I can confirm what Brigit says. still significant fresh nectar. Weather forecast so so for next few days but I see a potential for warm weather for 10 to 12 days after that......

However.....in Deeside yesterday it looked as if the heather has another week. Large tracts are 70% brown already, but where the bees are in forest the understory heather remains vibrant. Working hard in cold weather on high places, a lot quieter lower down...which was odd.
    So you reckon we will have another 2 weeks approx so I will have to put together some more supers. Goody!
    A question - I know you don't rush to take the bees away as no doubt you would be swamped if they all went home at once. Do you find your top deeps quite clear of brood by the time you move them?
    We are running deeps and supers and we intend to take honey from the top deeps. Up until now we have always treated for mite with strips in September but are thinking of sublimation this year. If we are still getting honey in September there will probably still be brood in the top deeps. If we start using strips end of September it's getting a bit late (weather etc) for getting the full benefit and sublimation would give us more leeway.
    Sorry a bit long-winded - stuck in traffic on the new bridge on the way to work in Livingston. Should have gone via Stirling.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    So you reckon we will have another 2 weeks approx so I will have to put together some more supers. Goody!
    A question - I know you don't rush to take the bees away as no doubt you would be swamped if they all went home at once. Do you find your top deeps quite clear of brood by the time you move them?
    We are running deeps and supers and we intend to take honey from the top deeps. Up until now we have always treated for mite with strips in September but are thinking of sublimation this year. If we are still getting honey in September there will probably still be brood in the top deeps. If we start using strips end of September it's getting a bit late (weather etc) for getting the full benefit and sublimation would give us more leeway.
    Sorry a bit long-winded - stuck in traffic on the new bridge on the way to work in Livingston. Should have gone via Stirling.

Will give you a full reply on this, possibly by PM, tomorrow. Have had a frantic couple of days with a Rowse audit and a VAT inspection plus two important estate meetings....so tonight I just want to go home and relax. However...even today....good nectar coming in despite the cool conditions at forest locations in Deeside.

Quote Originally Posted by Calluna4u View Post
    Will give you a full reply on this, possibly by PM, tomorrow. Have had a frantic couple of days with a Rowse audit and a VAT inspection plus two important estate meetings....so tonight I just want to go home and relax. However...even today....good nectar coming in despite the cool conditions at forest locations in Deeside.
    No rush. Relax and breathe......

I have hives on the heather at about 150m. Bees are active and now that rose-bay willow herb has almost stopped, they are bringing in a lot of white pollen. Rex Sawyers book gives heather as a brown pollen but, the stuff my bees are carrying has no trace of even light fawn. There is very little blackberry at the site and heather seems the only likely candidate for pollen. I could also take a look at the pollen under a microscope but am interested in other people's colour observations. Brown or white?

Blog Entries

I have colonies on Divis Mountain at 1000 feet and I noticed bees coming in with white pollen and the tell tale balsam stripe.

Blog Entries

I dident think there would be much heather on divis, then again might be wrong you might get a good crop of heather. Balsam usually grows well where there are rivers/streams, there must be some streams at the foot of the hill, it would be interesting to find out haw far they are flying to get the pollen as it pretty desolate where you have your mating hive if i am thinking of the same place. There would be more balsom in range at the comm/allot centre at the bottom of the hill
    Last edited by busybeephilip; 02-09-2017 at 08:07 AM.

Went for a drive yesterday afternoon to look for a spot to watch the cycle race and the Eildons are still well in flower with a good 2 weeks left in it at a guess. Came home and the bees here are working the HB with gusto.

PH