Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Heather ops

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I know several sites where Calluna4u has hives and they are certainly not "managed".
    I also thought that and even had a recollection that Murray mentioned it on here, but I couldn't find the discussion. His harvest from some of these sites last year was enormous - many stacked up to 6 deep Langs with some higher.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    I also thought that and even had a recollection that Murray mentioned it on here, but I couldn't find the discussion. His harvest from some of these sites last year was enormous - many stacked up to 6 deep Langs with some higher.
    Yes Gavin....your recollection is correct.

A significant proportion of my best heather locations are in forests and conservation areas, particularly old Caledonian forest, and they do just as well as the managed moors. Brigit has seen some of these and knows what she is talking about.

I reckon this is another of those beekeeping factoids that have been conventional thinking for generations, and have become 'facts' by repetition. There is an abundance of them.

Much advice about heather production is totally invalid in our systems (out of date?). Seems mostly aimed at those wanting to do cut comb or produce for the showbench.(If that's your aim then its fine.) Convention says to cramp the nest...we actually go unlimited from late June.

However........'stripy' moors from burning do tend to extend the season against unmanaged open moor areas (thus comparing like with like) and often there is more bell in the relatively recently burned areas until the ling starts to choke it out again. Its thus actually a lot more nuanced than a simple this or that is best statement.

Was away on an estate yesterday choosing new places close to the A9 and of the 6 we chose 4 were in unmanaged areas and only 2 in managed. The reasons for the choices are mainly centring on where I think the bees will do best, as in all of them there is massive overkill of heather, so shelter and ability to get out and work in less than optimum weather comes I to play...and remember that open forest areas flower over a long period too, as the more shaded heather can be a couple of weeks after the areas in full all day sun. There is a lot to consider.

Just a quick tally in my head of the places in use this year (we are still shifting but 90% done) is 36 sites Unmanaged and 39 managed. Given the preponderance of managed moors over unmanaged I suppose this suggests a slight tendency to favour the unmanaged areas with more trees.
    Last edited by Calluna4u; 30-07-2017 at 07:43 AM.

I get a good crop from the hill behind our house about 500 m away. It has not be burnt in the 14 yrs we have been here. The heather (ling) flowers well every year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for that Murray, another "fact" falls by the wayside. Actually as I have a serious dearth of moors down here it may open up other possibilities I have so far ignored. As Manley said the only way to find out is to put some bees in.

PH

Quote Originally Posted by Poly Hive View Post
    Thanks for that Murray, another "fact" falls by the wayside.
    Yeah, that's what mbc told you.

A lot of moors are burned though, and some have sheep instead

http://benvironment.org.uk/post/6758732361/muirburn
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 05-08-2017 at 05:25 PM.

Seasonal / yearly variance aside, when would anyone in the glen clova area suggest bringing their bees back from their heathery holiday? Doing some tree maintenance / hedge planting in and around the apirary and could do with an date to the nearest week as I've never taken bees to the hills before....

Actually what mbc siad was: "Tripe, my best spot is a big slab of unmanaged hillside lightly grazed by ponies, not been burnt or cut this century, and I've taken tonnes of ling honey from there, averaging more than all neighbouring sites some on managed grouse moors."

Now I was taught that the best moors were managed moors and my various mentors thought the same. Logically with different areas of heather age it made sense. No disrespect to mbc whom I don't know and his tons of heather, the tons of heather I took were all from managed moors so that is my experience. However I do know Murray, and have a huge respect for his knowledge and experience which dwarfs the vast majority of the UK beekeepers. If he says it is a myth then I pay attention.

PH

I heard it stated with confidence that when the heather pollen rose in clouds whilst walking through it, that was it over, time to move the hives home.

Anyone agree or otherwise?

PH

Quote Originally Posted by Poly Hive View Post
    Actually what mbc siad was: "Tripe, my best spot is a big slab of unmanaged hillside lightly grazed by ponies, not been burnt or cut this century, and I've taken tonnes of ling honey from there, averaging more than all neighbouring sites some on managed grouse moors.
    Actually, what mbc said was:

That's the spirit, each to their own, it's just best not to let a narrow dogma go unchallenged if you have different personal experience.
    Last edited by prakel; 20-08-2017 at 11:31 AM.