Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heather ops

Default Heather ops

Hi all,
    I'm interested in moving my 4 hives to the heather this year as I've not done it before and I'd like to try it.

I stay near Carnoustie and wondered if anyone could offer any advice regards possible sites please? What's the preferred method - a drive about then try and find some land owners doors to knock on?

Cheers

The East of Scotland Beekeeping Association has a heather site that has been used by members in the past; its up in Glen Clova. Are you an ESBA member? You could enquire to find out what the situation is. Also ESBA have a heather picnic coming up and there would be a chance to see first hand how its done.

I've spent a lot of time driving around (I know where all the llamas and belted Galloways are), walking about and talking to landowners, gamekeepers, farmers and other beekeepers to find and try out some sites. Looking over sites when the heather is out to think about the following year helps. Talking to ESBA members, and seeing how they get ready for the heather was important and useful - also getting advice from one Murray McGregor (C4U) was a great help. Don't just lob any colony up to the hills, it does need some preparation to get a strong foraging force. I would not just load up hives and drive hoping to find somewhere; map out the site first and discuss access with the landowner, get permission etc. I can pass on a few short articles if you want -

Great help thanks and yes please to articles.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feckless Drone View Post
    The East of Scotland Beekeeping Association has a heather site that has been used by members in the past; its up in Glen Clova.
    Umm ... not really. We did talk about that as a possibility when we were setting it up but what with foulbrood disease and security concerns it hasn't seemed like a good idea so we haven't encouraged this. Plus I don't think it is a good heather site, we've never taken much from there. But that was possibly due to us lobbing any old colony up there!

But yes, drive around and ask locally, ask any contacts you have, get to know someone already taking bees up the hills and maybe you can try it using their sites.

Look first and foremost for a proper managed moor. Evidenced by burnt areas. If it ain't burnt it is not really worth thinking about. It's the rejuvenated heather that produces the honey you see.

PH

Quote Originally Posted by Poly Hive View Post
    Look first and foremost for a proper managed moor. Evidenced by burnt areas. If it ain't burnt it is not really worth thinking about. It's the rejuvenated heather that produces the honey you see.

PH
    Tripe, my best spot is a big slab of unmanaged hillside lightly grazed by ponies, not been burnt or cut this century, and I've taken tonnes of ling honey from there, averaging more than all neighbouring sites some on managed grouse moors.
    Last edited by mbc; 28-07-2017 at 11:39 AM.

Ah bless. The exception that proves the rule. All the Scottish Bee Farmers I know would disagree but hey if it works for you good luck.

PH

Quote Originally Posted by Poly Hive View Post
    Ah bless. The exception that proves the rule. All the Scottish Bee Farmers I know would disagree but hey if it works for you good luck.

PH
    That's the spirit, each to their own, it's just best not to let a narrow dogma go unchallenged if you have different personal experience.

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

I know several sites where Calluna4u has hives and they are certainly not "managed".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro