Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wasp season 2017

Regards the Maisemore polynucs
    I used loads of them last year and the built in feeder is a big saving over buying a separate one

The second broodbox is reasonably priced for overwintering
    Even painted though the poly feeder is munched by wasps at this time of year (same with Paynes )

You can get more of them in the car for deliveries (no side feeder)
    I haven't switched over from Paynes Nucs only because I have a lot of upper boxes and feeders

The little lip that acts as a frame rail makes life easier than a bee squashing flat area
    Plus there is no big wide bee squashing inner rib to contend with when using the second box
    Also no thin plastic crown board to chase down the field

The feeder converts for fondant feeding and is extra insulation in Winter
    If you leave it on in Winter it give an ideal space for water vapour to condense and stay in the feeder away from the bees

The entrance disk is sturdier and comes in a range of colours to stop drifting

The recessed mesh (same as Paynes) needs covering when collecting swarms because bees hang there trying to get in

I like them a lot
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 20-08-2017 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks for the info. My one Thornes nuc (not everynuc) is a bit odd in that it was obviously designed for bigger frames and then polystyrene inserts put in to close down the space. However, in my one at least, the bees space is wrong so comb is drawn on the outside of the frame side-bars. It is also a bugger to get apart as the bee space is too big above the top bars so lots of comb is built there and the consequence is that the box is damaged when the lid or feeder is removed as it is stuck down by comb; especially after winter. I certainly prefer the top feeder compared to the Paynes which I cut out many years ago. The 8 frame Paynes conversion works well; it's a good size for overwintereing.

The recessed mesh (same as Paynes) needs covering when collecting swarms because bees hang there trying to get in

I like them a lot[/QUOTE]

Yes! I use the thin correx used for rabbit hutch floors, a piece cut slightly too big is perfect to push fit on (or off for travelling ). I don't get why the mesh area is so big on them and covering them up makes the nucs far more useful especially when making up small nucs early in the season, with the mesh covered a one frame of brood nuc is quite possible with a few bees shaken in to bolster them.