Thread: Summer Vaporising with supers present

Default Summer Vaporising with supers present

I am just thinking now would be a good time to perform a treatment as my bees are just going into a “June gap” egg laying is currently low, so I’m thinking to get them in tip top condition just now ready for the heather (I noticed two twisted winged bees at the last inspection).

How do you deal with supers during vaporising?

I have an eke so the vapour goes in from the top.

I have read to put in extra OA to cover the additional volume and put it in on top of the topmost super (most I have on any one hive at present is two supers), seal up the rest and have at it so to speak. However I am getting lots on the web about not having supers on during vaporising…. anything from take them on and off for the procedure to take them off and keep them off for minimum of two weeks.

If I take them on and off what do I do with the (often large number) of bees in the supers, will they get sufficient treatment next time they go into the brood area or am I reliant on them getting a treatment next time I’m performing the vaporising (I am thinking I’ll do 3 weekly treatments)?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

ATB Roger B

I wouldn't treat with supers on unless the honey wasn't for human consumption ... until someone does the proper experiment and quantifies OA deposition in honey, and how long it persists. If there's no flow you surely don't need the supers ... ?

Why not just clear them down to a double brood (if needed) and then treat once the supers are safely stacked elsewhere?

Laziness; it's just so much easier to leave them with the supers to accommodate the bees, even if there is nothing coming in. I was just hoping someone out there was going to tell me it had already been fully assessed and was all okay, still you can't always get what you wish for.

Hi rogerb
    the tool for the job is MAQS
    but its is expensive and there may be a risk to brood and queen
    unless the instructions are followed to the letter

At the moment apibioxal is only legal version of oxalic
    If that doesn't say you can use it with supers then best not

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Icing sugar dusting of the brood box will remove (some of) the phoretic mites and you may be able to gauge if you have a serious problem or not?

Hi, do any of you use "Hiveclean" for Summer varroa treatment? If so, have you had good results? I think it has OA as part of the concoction.
    Last edited by The Poot; 28-06-2017 at 08:23 PM.

I think it's no longer available because Apibioxal has been registered as the only oxalic acid treatment which can be legally used
    If it did reappear for sale it would be without any oxalic content

If you have taken your honey and supers off then Thymol which could be Apilife Var or Apiguard is a good Summer option
    The treatment period is quite long and so covers the Varroa reproductive cycle if you follow the instructions
    The kill rate would be at least 70% probably more
    (Thymol was another main constituent of Hiveclean)

From some of the reports I have read, hiveclean was not that effective..
    This time of year is difficult as varroa numbers are increasing - perhaps to dangerous levels - but if the supers are still on the hive, treating for varroa is difficult.