Thread: putting new V queens in apideas

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ah that's interesting. I transferred them at the egg stage. Was that too early? Sorry to be stupid but how do I know when they are "accepted"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by RDMW View Post
    Ah that's interesting. I transferred them at the egg stage. Was that too early? Sorry to be stupid but how do I know when they are "accepted"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    too early RDMW you have to wait till the eggs have hatched
    looking in the back of the cassette you pick the ones with the most royal jelly
    use the white middle section of the cupkit system to pick up the brown cups
    That is easier than using fingers

When you see eggs just take the white plug out of the front of the cassette
    it takes the queen a little while but she will find the way out
    Then wait till the eggs hatch before you go to the next stage of putting them on the cell bar
    One day later check the cell bar if there is a ring of wax round the cell cup AND the larva is still there with a good supply of royal jelly that means the bees are trying to raise a queen ie the larva has been accepted
    any empty ones replace them with other larva from the cassette as per previous post

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 02-08-2017 at 11:06 PM.

although this is an oldish thread

a nice German video here on youtube. Althought it is all in German, these beekeepers are clearly very organised and the relevant bit to this thread is at about 22minutes 45seconds in. Where they are setting up apideas and running virgins in to them, dunked in honey. You can also make out that the virgins already have disks stuck to their backs

I am convinced that on the odd occasion I have had a virgin come back and enter the wrong hive - although without a disk I could not be sure. I have some numbered disc somewhere but I have never used them.