Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poly hive queen excluders and varroa floors

I'm just finishing the first season with a bunch of Abelo boxes which are my only all poly boxes. I have other mixed Sweinty + wood combinations. I get much more condensation in the Abelo boxes. I'm not aware of it in Sweinty+perspex crownboard+insulation. In the Abelo boxes there are often little puddles underneath the frame lugs.

I've had to get a second shed to keep all the little plug in ventilation blocks Perhaps I should use them instead?

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Yes, I have noticed puddles in the lug gully, but I don't think it matters. They're little drinking troughs for the bees if they need it.

Perhaps the same would have happened in Swienties, but because of the small gaps between the ends of the lugs and hive wall, the water drips away, and one doesn't notice it?

I like the holes in the sides. They're handy to create a top entrance when needed. I have thought of using the ventilation plugs to create a kind of entrance reducer for the top opening - but I haven't done that yet. Next summer ...

Kitta

Anyone suspect these puddles are due to the hard plastic, ie cold spots, or that the faces do not meet flush because of them? I don't have puddles in my swienty's.

I have serious doubts about the Abelo product.

PH

Quote Originally Posted by Poly Hive View Post
    I have serious doubts about the Abelo product.

PH
    I bought one as a trial and I'm quite liking it as a box, not sure on the floor or crown board but the brood box and supers seem very good, what I am exited about is their poly national Ashforth feeder, good to go out of the box (as is the rest of their poly national offerings) and a well designed and built bit of kit imho

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Anyone suspect these puddles are due to the hard plastic, ie cold spots, or that the faces do not meet flush because of them? I don't have puddles in my swienty's.
    I've had another look at a Swienty hive and I'm sure the reason there aren't puddles in a Swienty is as I've suggested above: If water did collect in the gully of a Swienty, it will just dribble or flow out where the lug rises meet the walls. The lug rises aren't a perfect fit from wall to wall. Perhaps one should compare it with one of the poly hives that has polystyrene lug rises, as in the Maisiemore nucs - but I've cut the lug rises of those nucs to avoid all the squashing of bees on top of the top bars, so I can't compare.

But - the puddles in the Abelo hives aren't a problem. The hives are dry, and not mouldy at all.

Kitta