Thread: Osr 2017

Default Osr 2017

How's the OSR in your region and are your colonies well enough developed to exploit it?

Here in central Fife there appears to be a lot less than the last couple of years. It's probably a week or two off full flower and the majority of my colonies aren't likely to be strong enough to get much from it.

Been very early here, already a couple of weeks in full flower but wiith continued/ongoing downsizing I've not been too worried about chasing it this year.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    How's the OSR in your region and are your colonies well enough developed to exploit it?

Here in central Fife there appears to be a lot less than the last couple of years. It's probably a week or two off full flower and the majority of my colonies aren't likely to be strong enough to get much from it.
    Its about 20% in bloom up here in Methlick Aberdeenshire FS. I moved my strongest hives onto it at the weekend but its been a cold bitter wind since

In between rain, hail and strong wind (so about a minute a day) my garden bees are going ballistic at the water trough. When it gets cold suddenly there are a lot caught out and stuck. Later in the evening I have been watching a huuuge brown rat come along to the trough and munch its way through the stranded corpses!

You need a rat trap. Maybe bees as bait for the trap?
    OSR has been out for a while down south - but none near me this year.
    The cold weather has curtailed flying for the past few days which is disappointing as there's plenty of other forage about.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    You need a rat trap. Maybe bees as bait for the trap?
    OSR has been out for a while down south - but none near me this year.
    The cold weather has curtailed flying for the past few days which is disappointing as there's plenty of other forage about.
    Well I started converting the back of a barn into a workshop and lo and behold upon lifting the rotting old wooden floor........a huge rat nest and 1 freshly dead rat Also about 200 potatoes in various states of growth. Funnily enough I reckon our sacks of tatties are about 200 potatoes lighter.

OSR just getting into full flower and bees working it like billyo !