Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asian hornet detection

Blog Entries

Default Asian hornet detection

This note was released today by the Scottish Government. Text below is at this link:

http://www.gov.scot/Topics/farmingru...ws/AsianHornet

Asian Hornet (Vespa velutina)

17 March 2017 update:

SG today confirmed that a single Asian Hornet, Vespa velutina had been identified at a retail warehouse in the central belt of Scotland. The Asian Hornet is a non-native species and a serious predator of honey bees and other pollinators which has recently become established in Europe. There are no more public health risks associated with Asian hornets than with other bees or wasps.
    Asian hornets were first identified in the GB during autumn 2016, that outbreak was dealt with and no further reports have been confirmed since. It is not possible to identify the origin of this individual and no further sightings have been made, however for surveillance purposes SG has placed Asian Hornet traps in the area and alerted the pest control industry and beekeepers to be vigilant for this species

"Not possible to identify the origin"? ... I wonder if they mean 'which lorry load it came in', or the genetic origin?

Interesting phrase to describe the 2016 outbreak ... dealt with can be taken to mean satisfactorily concluded, or simply 'dealt with' which implies activity but no conclusion. Time will tell but if I were a betting man ...

Blog Entries

I would imagine they mean 'which lorry'. Fera/NBU/whatever they're called looked at the genetic origin of the English hornets and there is good collaboration between the SG and York so I would imagine there's a PCR machine whirring as we type. However 'I know nothing!' as Andrew Sachs once said.

Yes, there was a lot of activity around Tetbury but there could still be Asian hornets out there somewhere.

Blog Entries

Nearly posted that myself ... but I really do know nothing (more).

Blog Entries

I managed to catch and kill a few queen wasps that were flying about, would gavin or someone like to give instructions to members as to how to build hornet traps and esp the best bait and where best to source components to use (as a non drinker I'm not sure which beer to use )

Here is the trap http://www.nationalbeeunit.com/downl...ent.cfm?id=869

need beer ?
    Last edited by busybeephilip; 18-03-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Blog Entries

If your ambition is to trap queens then this is a good and relatively inexpensive way to do so. It doesn't have to be a lethal trap, I'm told, if you empty it daily. Plans are afoot to use this trap in surveillance in Scotland.

https://www.thorne.co.uk/index.php?r...roduct_id=7426

Spring and summer trapping differs. I understand that honey is attractive to queens but I'd just go for the lures from Veto or Thornes, made up as instructed.

Blog Entries

1st trap made now off to lidl for the bait

Blog Entries

Here we go , its probably the first Asian Hornet Trap to be installed and baited in Ireland (unless Jon knows different ). Used Newcastle brown ale approx 100ml, 20ml strawberry dessert sauce available in Tesco (yummy)and 20ml of Tesco everyday value double strength orange juice. Mix well and added to bottom section of the trap.

Will let you know what happens

Blog Entries

Great news - the hornet trap works, its a lovely warm sunny morning and I've just caught a lovely big queen wasp, hopefully no hornets but heres to many more wasps being caught