I have just got myself an invite to an Apple orchard, yipee in all there are 280 acres of Apples so I am looking forward to that.
I have told beekeepers about this orchard and I dont think they believed me but it exists anyway the chap running it is interested in getting bees he knows I have some and I have been invited to have a look.

Now I am not going to give him any advice on bees as part of the day job I am going to look at the orchard. I am chuffed and some collagues are a bit green as they want to come for a look too.
How do they manage an orchard this size, what is the pruning regime like, Do they spary, how are the apples harvested How much mechanisation is involved. I want to see this orchard in bloom and also just before harvest.

But back to the bees how many hives would an orchard this size support, I would assume 2 per acre, what would happen to the bees when the bloom fades where will they forage, this may involve migrating bees into the orchard, what would happen to the bees if the blossom got hammered by hail showers, or if the nectar was diluted by dew or washed out by rain, How does he cope with birds eating the buds, what predator control is in place, what if So many questions.
Since I am not interested in putting bees on it because I dont have time and am not willing to commit, He will need a lot of help to get started or maybe he would be better leaving the pollination thats is the supplying of bees to someone else as it would entail a lot of extra work.

Reckon my stock will go up with local beekeepers, Who do I tell.....