Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple orchard invite.

Blog Entries

Default Apple orchard invite.

I have just got myself an invite to an Apple orchard, yipee in all there are 280 acres of Apples so I am looking forward to that.
    I have told beekeepers about this orchard and I dont think they believed me but it exists anyway the chap running it is interested in getting bees he knows I have some and I have been invited to have a look.

Now I am not going to give him any advice on bees as part of the day job I am going to look at the orchard. I am chuffed and some collagues are a bit green as they want to come for a look too.
    How do they manage an orchard this size, what is the pruning regime like, Do they spary, how are the apples harvested How much mechanisation is involved. I want to see this orchard in bloom and also just before harvest.

But back to the bees how many hives would an orchard this size support, I would assume 2 per acre, what would happen to the bees when the bloom fades where will they forage, this may involve migrating bees into the orchard, what would happen to the bees if the blossom got hammered by hail showers, or if the nectar was diluted by dew or washed out by rain, How does he cope with birds eating the buds, what predator control is in place, what if So many questions.
    Since I am not interested in putting bees on it because I dont have time and am not willing to commit, He will need a lot of help to get started or maybe he would be better leaving the pollination thats is the supplying of bees to someone else as it would entail a lot of extra work.

Reckon my stock will go up with local beekeepers, Who do I tell.....

How many trees is that? I was recently approached on behalf of a local cherry grower with 5000 trees but they're housed on a tiny fraction of land compared to your 280 acres.

Blog Entries

You can see it on google earth. This is the grid ref and it is huge N970222
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@

Quote Originally Posted by Greengage View Post
    You can see it on google earth. This is the grid ref and it is huge N970222
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@
    Thanks, but it's the number of trees which fascinates me, don't really fancy counting them for myself!

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

The Mid Bucks Beekeepers Association has some helpful notes for the exams, and the Module 8 notes has a table on page 37 listing the number of hives needed per acre or hectare (not that I'll ever remember that). It says:

Apples (dwarf): 3/acre or 7.4/ha
    Apples (semi-dwarf): 2/acre or 4.9/ha
    Apples (normal size): 1/acre or 2.5/ha

Kitta
    Last edited by Mellifera Crofter; 10-03-2017 at 05:18 PM.

Blog Entries

Mellifera thanks for that.
    Parkel Ill find out the number as I am curious myself.

An old method of encouraging bees to Apple was to feed some syrup that had been infused with apple flowers
    Don't know if it worked well or not

I remember reading somewhere that many of the bumble and solitary bees do a much better job of orchard pollination than honey bees do - I think it's that fruit blossom isn't that rich in sugar, and honey bees have the option to fly further to collect 'better' nectar from hedgerows etc, while the others have to get what they can 'locally'.

Many soft fruit growers use boguth-in bumble bee colonies in polytunnels - I wonder if the same system works for orchards?

Not directly of use, but there's an interesting paper on the issues with pollinator deficit here: http://www.reading.ac.uk/caer/Projec...ratt_et_al.pdf

Blog Entries

Cheers thanks.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by match View Post
    ... Many soft fruit growers use boguth-in bumble bee colonies in polytunnels - I wonder if the same system works for orchards? ...
    Dave Goulson, in 'A Sting in the Tale' says that, in Perthshire, bumble bees are mostly used in polytunnels to pollinate raspberries, but also outside to pollinate strawberries - so, perhaps they can be used in orchards, provided they use a native bumble bee specie, and I don't think (according to the book, if I read it right) that there are that many suppliers of native UK bumble bees.
    Kitta