Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swarm control

Blog Entries

Default Swarm control

Just planning for the future, has anyone tried a taranov split, looks easy if the weather is good and the bees are thinking about swarming. Then everything looks easy when you read about it in a book.

Quote Originally Posted by Greengage View Post
    Taranov split
    That legend Dave Cushman wrote about this - http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/taranovswm.html

Read to the end and then ask yourself - why am I unhappy with what I did last year? I know what you did last summer!

Blog Entries

Jeez your hilarious, Anyway no harm in trying something different I saw it on utube (Turn down the sound) you would nearly be afraid to mention the Russians or I might have to resign.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgCzbyMWDKw

Peterborough, and into the flatlands to the north and east ...

I tried it a couple of years ago, bees everywhere, although it worked out when we spotted the queen running up the ramp and I popped her in a cage.

The video looks interesting- is the idea that the queen ends up in the brood under the ramp? I just used a ramp, hadn't thought to put a box under there.

Classic Taranov has no 'box' surely ... non-flying bees and the Q collect on the underside of the ramp. Flyers cross the gap. I'm not sure anything crosses the gap in that video. I'd like to see how populated the hive was at the end as it didn't look as though they separated anything.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Classic Taranov has no 'box' surely ...
    The chap closed the box with a crown board and closed the feed hole. I think he only used the box to raise the board. But, yes - dreadful example of a Taranov split, I thought, and a terrible video, missing out the crucial bit of bees flying across the gap to the hive's entrance.

I've made a Taranov board, but I've never used it. It's just something else to carry around and as my hive stands aren't all at the same height, I thought it would be a kerfuffle to get the board aligned correctly - or I'll have to spend more time trying to make a better, more adjustable board.

Kitta

Peterborough, and into the flatlands to the north and east ...

Default Swarm control

Thanks Kitta, well spotted, I hadn't seen he'd closed it up.

Different hive heights are a problem, and when I tried it was a real job as the hive was a bit low (so some rapid changing required).

I am wondering whether to try again. Having watched a few other videos, I can see it could have been better,

David
    Last edited by Wmfd; 06-03-2017 at 08:13 AM.

It takes pretty strong nerves to do this, and a very good bee suit, and it is VERY tough on the bees. Further if there is nectar in the combs it is very messy and there is frankly a high death rate. Oh yes it reads easy peasy but.. the devil is aye in the details.

I have done it three times. Twice as I just couldn't find the queen, and once for a demo. But not for over 20 years and I doubt ever again.

PH

Aye done it once and won't try that again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Poly Hive View Post
    ... Further if there is nectar in the combs it is very messy and there is frankly a high death rate. ...
    I have done it three times. Twice as I just couldn't find the queen ...

PH
    PH, I don't understand why your combs were affected when using a Taranov board, or why you needed to find the queen. I thought the idea is that the queen and non-flying bees (the young ones) walk up the board and gather under it while the older bees fly back into the hive. [ps: as Fatshark said above]

And why is there a high death rate? As I've said earlier - I've never done it, so I don't know.

Kitta