Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Local bees

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

It would be nice to keep the Aberdeenshire slides with the ADBKA - unless somebody has a better suggestion for their safeguarding. I'll have a chat with David or somebody about it.
    Kitta

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    It would be nice to keep the Aberdeenshire slides with the ADBKA - unless somebody has a better suggestion for their safeguarding. I'll have a chat with David or somebody about it.
    Kitta
    It would be interesting. Do you know where / when samples were collected PH ? I bet Jimbo would be up for analysing them.

What were the wings collected for? Was it for wing measurement using the projection method? Do you have the the approx dates when they were collected and approx location of where the colonies were situated
    They are definitely worth keeping as a historical record especially if some came from the Maud strain.
    I would also be up for scanning them again using the more modern methods we have today and if Aberdeen want to keep them then they could be returned for safe keeping

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is well worthwhile keeping these slides for wing morphometry. I still hold the slides from the Scottish survey done by John and Morna Stoakley almost 25 yrs ago. They are in perfect condition. They included some Sutherland colonies which were strongly Amm in their characteristics. I followed up wing morphometry 20 yrs after this from the same apiary and the results were the same. Now that the SNHBS is here all these records will have found a home. It will be interesting to chat with people about all this at the launch meeting on 1st April.
    Alvearium

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvearium View Post
    ... Now that the SNHBS is here all these records will have found a home. It will be interesting to chat with people about all this at the launch meeting on 1st April.
    Alvearium
    I've sent a PM to PH and Gavin, and emailed David. I think we're all interested to keep the slides safe, and we don't mind where - ADBKA or SNHBS (which is, perhaps, a more logical place).
    Kitta

I strongly suspect, actually it should be that some of the slides from the Stokelys are mine as John Morna and I organised that BIBBA weekend. Bit of a damp squib in the end. They came the spouted the philosophy that the further north the darker the bees and wow didn't we have interesting measurements to show them, then trotted south again never to be heard from again. Then poor John took ill and that was that.

Anyway... number of slides 17, 15 wings per slide. Where from? I think, now remember this is a lot of years ago now, roughly 1995 ish? Some would have been from my bees which were the "Maud" strain, some were from Morayshire from a farmer that was rouping out and they were very nice bees. I bought some 15 colonies I think it was at the sale. That pretty much covers it I think.

I don't suppose anyone knows what happened to the slides at Craibstone in the front office, the one on the left entering the double door as they were the original Acarine slides. The bloody college has likely dumped them in there ignorance.