Thread: Problems with Ivy stores.

Blog Entries

Default Problems with Ivy stores.

Treated my bees yesterday and checked weight of hives. Weather due to deterioate this week with very cold weather and snow due.
    One hive has eight frames of bees very strong so far. Lots of stores and very heavy but I think most of the stores is Ivy.I plan on placing fondant on both hives as I do not suspect they will not be able to access the ivy sotres as it has granulated, so what can I do with the stores, I believe in both instances the bees will need access to water to either dilute the stores or use the fondant. Is there anything I can do with the ivy stores later in the year say March April if it is not used up. aside from uncapping it can it be diluted or soaked in something.
    The second hive is on brood and a half very heavy with stores and lots of bees so that is a good start to the year, other hives appear to be doing well so far also plenty of stores but again I believe it to be Ivy.
    If the mild weather returns and the queen starts laying I presume around late march I could have more brood than bees so I need to be aware of this plan ahead and prevent starvation due to my neglect.

Quote Originally Posted by Greengage View Post
    Is there anything I can do with the ivy stores later in the year say March April if it is not used up.
    I am not sure you need to worry about this. By early spring the bees will be able to fly and get water so any granulated stores will be dealt with. They will use it up as needed and move it around to make space if required. Seems like a really good thing for your colonies to have lots of stores at a dangerous period for the colony.

I have never worried about ivy. Frames with slabs of ivy honey are gone by spring where they need to be. Bees have been feasting on it for centuries and seem to do OK.

Blog Entries

thanks for the info.