Thread: Just starting a new hive

Default Just starting a new hive

need some help with setting up of a new hive,anyone help?

Blog Entries

Where are you? Do you already have bees?

If none of us are close enough to help, we may know a man/woman who is ....

Thanks for the reply gavin,im in alloa and i have three orchards with lots of fruit trees etc and ive allways liked the idea of keeping bees,ive bought a small beginners hive but would like to icrease this after i learn a bit about them,money is not an assue so i can buy what ever is needed
    regards
    george.

Hi Georgieboy3,

It is best if you make contact with your local association. To find the nearest to you go to the SBA web page and under FAQ you will find a list of contacts. Most associations run beginner courses and may help you source local bees. They may also set you up with a mentor in your first year. You want to source local bees if possible and not to purchase bees from the internet or from outside the country as you run the risk of bringing in diseases that may affect your local bee colonies. It may mean you having to wait to get your bees but it is worth it. You mention you have a small beginners hive . Do you know the make or type of hive. The most popular hive in Scotland is a National or Smith hive. You can get other types.

Jimbo

Blog Entries

Hi George

There is an excellent association in Dunblane and Stirling which may be your closest.

http://www.dsbka.net/

They run well-organised beginners classes early in the year, as does the Fife Beekeeping Association.

Until then, I'm sure that you'll find people here willing to answer specific questions.

all the best

Gavin

thanks for the help
    george.