Thread: Apistan success

Default Apistan success

I live in a fairly isolated part of North West Scotland and thought I would have a try with apistan this Autumn. I haven't used it for about 6 years so I thought resistance might not be a problem. I treated all five of my hives for 5 weeks and a month later put my inserts in and after 2 weeks of testing I have no mite drop at all.
    Very pleased with this!
    I plan to sublimate with Oxalic acid early in January just to hit em again but feel pleased to be entering 2017 with little varroa

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

What a lovely day. 10 degrees little wind and sunny. All my hives are flying bees and brining back some dark orange pollen.
    Feels like summer, except it is just before New Year!
    Sitting in the sun with a cup of tea and watching the bees come and go. All's well with the world.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

I can't contribute an opinion on oxalic, RDMW. I've never used it.

But as for bees flying - the morning of Christmas day there were lots of them frolicking in the sun - quite amazing. By the afternoon things have changed, and then we got a smattering of snow yesterday. I didn't really notice any out today.

Kitta

I used Apistan in september (last time I used it was 8 yrs ago after which I used apiguard for 4 years and then MAQS for 3 yrs) which killed hundreds of mites per hive followed up by oxalic in december. Still got significant drop after oxalic in December (40 or less mites per colony at my rural outapiary of 28 hives) . However the two hives in my urban apiary (in my back garden) had over a 500 and 200 ish respectively.in december.

That's interesting
    I sublimated last week having used apistan in the autumn. I had a maximum mite drop of 20 in 1 week whereas my Beekeepering friend had a daily drop of more than a hundred after sublimation as he had not used apistan
    I guess this shows the effectiveness of integrated pest management

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Any chance you could get the most recent mites - after sublimating - tested for Apistan resistance? The excellent folks at SASA can do this I believe.
    With a first treatment in 6 years (post 1) you might/should have a sensitive population ... but the proof of the pudding is in the sequence of the relevant voltage gated sodium channel.

Yes I would be happy to do this. Please could you tell me more details about how to arrange this.

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

I had my bees tested by SASA after 18 months of beekeeping (3 years ago after a visit from the bee inspector) and they were Apistan resistant. They came from a supplier who still uses Apistan. I don't have the contact address with me for testing but it's Fiona and if you send an email to Steve.Sunderland@gov.scot he will give you her address.
    Since then I haven't used Apistan and see very little varroa drop during the year and when I trickle/treat them.

Thank you. I emailed Fiona earlier this week but she has not replied