Thread: Apiinvert density

Default Apiinvert density

Hi all - just been asked by a new beekeeper what the density of apiinvert is and realised I've never thought about it. I was under the assumption its between light and heavy syrup....ie just under 1.5:1 (sugars/water) so 1 litre is about 1.5kg.

Any more precise answers ?

Cheers,

GG

Quote Originally Posted by greengumbo View Post
    Hi all - just been asked by a new beekeeper what the density of apiinvert is and realised I've never thought about it. I was under the assumption its between light and heavy syrup....ie just under 1.5:1 (sugars/water) so 1 litre is about 1.5kg.

Any more precise answers ?

Cheers,

GG
    Its 72% solids...as are most of the proprietry bee feeds. Its about 1.4kG per litre.

Quote Originally Posted by Calluna4u View Post
    Its 72% solids...as are most of the proprietry bee feeds. Its about 1.4kG per litre.
    Cheers Murray - hope all is well and the heather crop is a good un'.

Not bad in Aberdeenshire....a little above long term average though not spectacular, and one or two places are actually a little below last year surprisingly. Gets better further west so near Braemar is better than the Aboyne and Dinnet area. This pattern continues on beyond that as the real big hits this year are all in our Speyside locations.

Overall a decent profitable year, rubbish at blossom time but that was almost all over the country and indeed our English bees did even worse than the Scottish ones, but economically the heather is what matters most anyway and that was good.

Bees in decent nick going into winter. A little frayed looking so expect a fairly early strength decline and then levelling off before Christmas. Do not expect big losses. The nucs are looking great too so that covers for a lot of losses if they happen.