Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AFm and 'pupal tongue'

Blog Entries

Default AFB and 'pupal tongue'

Apologies but I seem to be on a bit of a roll this morning. As I mentioned earlier I attended a talk on Pests and diseases last night. AFB came up for discussion and what to look for it was very interesting talk and provoked a lot of questions. But when discussing AFB the lecturer showed a slide of a bee exhibiting a syndrome called 'pupal tongue' where the tongue protrudes to the top of the cell. I thought I read somewhere that this was not actually the bees tongue but was caused by the bee being stuck to the side of the cell wall and its weight caused this effect when it pulled away from the side wall. Does anyone know if this is true or is it actually the tongue. I was too shy to ask the question (Imagine that) I also didnt want to cause embarrassment if I was right.
    Last edited by Greengage; 14-09-2016 at 06:20 PM.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

I have never heard of 'pupal tongue', so had to look it up, and found some drawings explaining it. It is the tongue stuck to the cell wall as you've described, but as the larva decays, it turns into an even longer stringy bit with gooey larva pooling at the bottom of the cell - so, perhaps tongue and whatnots. It's not a nice image.
    Kitta

PS: What does the M in AFM stand for?
    Last edited by Mellifera Crofter; 14-09-2016 at 03:18 PM.

Blog Entries

M= Mistake it should have been AFB I can only type with two fingers and M is two letters across on bottom key.

I had pupal tongue in my AFB outbreak..Not an image I care to remember.

Annual inspection after outbreak by BI last week shows I have now been clear for a year.

The hole in the lawn where bees/frames/crownboards etc were burnt and buried is nicely grassed over and indistinguishable from the remainder of the lawn.

Blog Entries

Is it true that poly hives can be sterilised but wooden ones need to be burnt. but back to the origional question is it the proboscis or just the larvae stuck to the wall, I cannot find the link where I read it.
    Last edited by Greengage; 15-09-2016 at 07:55 AM.

It's the larvae stuck.

Poly hives can be sterilised. Wooden hives are flamed in the interior... Three of mine were flamed and are in re-use with no issues.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by madasafish View Post
    It's the larvae stuck.

Poly hives can be sterilised. Wooden hives are flamed in the interior... Three of mine were flamed and are in re-use with no issues.
    Interesting over here they must be burnt in a pit and overseen that you do so, thats the Law, as to whether its carried out in all cases I dont know.

Blog Entries

I think it is just the bees and frames which have to be burnt under supervision in an AFB case.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I think it is just the bees and frames which have to be burnt under supervision in an AFB case.
    In UK - yes.

In a pit normally which is then backfilled - to prevent any unburned residues infecting bees.

Is it really the tongue ?

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk