Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Drone genetics.

As I indicated ... because I don't think the result was new. It's been known that DWV is transmitted through mating for some time.

Blog Entries

ok thanks, you guys on here a great for finding papers are there any other viruses passed on from Drones as STDs

Quote Originally Posted by Greengage View Post
    ok thanks, you guys on here a great for finding papers are there any other viruses passed on from Drones as STDs
    Not sure about that GG
    I haven't read anything about other virus being transmitted this way

I think it's right to say that a number of brood infections and parasites are spread between worker bees and larva at certain exact stages in their lives (Nosema,acarine,varroa,AFB etc)

In nature when a swarm leaves a hive there is a brood break while the new queen gets mated and while the swarm builds comb

I tend to ramble on about Snelgrove boards I know, but they do represent a way to partially reproduce that effect
    The field bees and the queen are one part, meanwhile the brood bees plus the brood raise a new queen and have a brood break

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I made a snelgrove board last season (This year) but things got ahead of me so next year I hope to be on top of things and give it a go. Probably drifting drones dont help either. I just cannot get my head around how bee keepers know drones from one hive drift to another they all look the same to me, how do they know " You see that fellow there well he used to be over in hive No1" and another thing I dont know what genes I have myself how am I supposed to know what genes are missing in my bees. Its just too much at times for me. Ah well you live and learn but it will be a slow process.

...and another thing I dont know what genes I have myself how am I supposed to know what genes are missing in my bees. Its just too much at times for me. Ah well you live and learn but it will be a slow process.
    There's an interesting project in Ireland which might help, more info here.

I made a snelgrove board last season (This year) but things got ahead of me so next year I hope to be on top of things and give it a go. Probably drifting drones dont help either. I just cannot get my head around how bee keepers know drones from one hive drift to another they all look the same to me, how do they know " You see that fellow there well he used to be over in hive No1" and another thing I dont know what genes I have myself how am I supposed to know what genes are missing in my bees. Its just too much at times for me. Ah well you live and learn but it will be a slow process.
    Spend some time practising queen marking using drones as the target ... then check the adjacent hives over the next few days. If you really want to irritate people mark a hundred or so drones in the association apiary using this years colour ...

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Spend some time practising queen marking using drones as the target ... then check the adjacent hives over the next few days. If you really want to irritate people mark a hundred or so drones in the association apiary using this years colour ...
    I've been marking drones for a couple of years now and have been quite surprised at how few turn up in other hives -although I still need to get some other people involved to build a better picture.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    There's an interesting project in Ireland which might help, more info here.
    Your just being bold now im in enough trouble there already. Thats a great idea to mark drones with a different colour and see where they turn up, ill do that next year must add it to my to do list.

Interesting prakel ... I wonder if the age of the drone influences things? Most drifting amongst workers has been shown to occur during orientation flights i.e. their first few expeditions from the hive, and may reach 1% per day. I've certainly seen marked drones turning up quite regularly in other hives in association apiaries and, for other reasons, am likely to investigate this in a bit more detail next season.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Interesting prakel ... I wonder if the age of the drone influences things? Most drifting amongst workers has been shown to occur during orientation flights i.e. their first few expeditions from the hive, and may reach 1% per day. I've certainly seen marked drones turning up quite regularly in other hives in association apiaries and, for other reasons, am likely to investigate this in a bit more detail next season.
    That's a very real possiility I imagine, there is also another aspect which I think probably plays a big role in drifting, but I don't actually have any 'evidence' to back this up so it is just conjecture. It seems quite likely to me that a 'lot' of bees which drift, workers and drones alike, may well do so on a temporary basis. Just because they're in one hive at X-o'clock I'm not at all sure that they won't be back in their own original hive after their next flight. If this is the case then that's possibly quite an important consideration for your specific research.