Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Drone genetics.

Blog Entries

No I dont agree, It is trending on all media platforms run by FIBKA and supported by Cork Institute of Technology although there is nothing on their website about it. I will e-mail them to see what is happening there. The project is looking to raise 20K through FIBKA members, that i have a problem with, if it is so worthwhile a project why not stump up the money and get everyone involved, similar to the project on DNA run by NUIG Galway. you can read more about the project on Bee Health here
    http://www.irishbeekeeping.ie/index....search-project

Anyway it says Winter losses in the Ireland area are reported as being higher than ever in certain parts with certain parts of Cork and Kerry as being in the region of 50-70%. The mild winter of 2014/15 and the bad summer in 2015 are mainly the cause. where is the proof of this it could have been starvation or beekeepers not treating their bees. maybe for statistics more people in that region submitted data than people on the east coast.

The rain effected the queens mating and lack of pollen and high varroa loads meant that the queens that mated early in the year mated with sterile drones, is there a scientific paper to say drones were sterile?

"Unlike taking a cow to a bull where you have a good idea what the quality of the breed will be if the cow reproduces, the queen in her first twenty one days of life heads off to a drone congregation area and mates on the wing with about twenty different drones." its not that simple and you cannot compare cows to bees .

"The rain and lack of pollen from August until mid-October meant there were very little drones available for the newly emerged queens to mate with and those they did mate with were too closely related to themselves, which means the brood pattern the queens are now producing is unviable and spotty" I still have hives bursting with bees and still bringing in pollen from Ivy.

"Cork Institute of Technology have stepped up to the plate and agreed to set up a research project to run in the newly built CREATE building to sample the Irish stocks , identify the different sex alleles , so that in the future Irish beekeepers can select for sex alleles to improve the genetic viability of their honeybee stocks." says who. Anyway the fact that someone banned me from the page really annnoys me, it has 3k followers and nobody is allowed comment. Looks like to me someone has thought up a question found an answer now need to fill in the middle bits to agree with it.
    Last edited by Greengage; 12-10-2016 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Spelling and keyboard problems

Quote Originally Posted by Greengage View Post
    No I dont agree
    Each to their own and yes, I did read the links before replying!

Blog Entries

Read this interesting article from Randy Oliver. http://scientificbeekeeping.com/what...domestication/

http://www.beeculture.com/catch-buzz...n-dies-colony/
    You can see DWV without varroa present but it is one of the main vectors
    Still referencing the dubious CCD but just ignore that bit

Regards the Randy Oliver stuff the idea that our bees are inferior to the bees of yesteryear is nonsense if applied to us in the UK
    I don't know what goes on in the USA beekeeping world

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 13-10-2016 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Android keeps changing words and making the sentence bicycle

I'm surprised that got published ... it's been known that DWV was transmissible in drone sperm for ages, though I suspect the original observation was made using II. Scientific Reports, despite being from the same stable as Nature, has an ethos of publishing stuff if it's scientifically correct, not whether it makes a significant contribution to the literature.

PS or perhaps not surprised, considering it's in Scientific Reports. Perhaps I should have said "unsurprised that got published because it's old news".

Hi fatshark
    Yes not news
    The reasons for poor mating are many and varied
    They might include some of the more relevant ones in the proposed study
    Who knows
    The answer is blowing in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    The answer is blowing in the wind ?
    No one can ever claim that SBAi isn't topical ... ;-)

Blog Entries

might be idiot wind though....

While trying to think of a witty response I remembered that I want you from Blonde on blonde contains the refrain "Honey, I want you" ... which, if SBAi had the function, would make a great .sig

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    I'm surprised that got published ... it's been known that DWV was transmissible in drone sperm for ages, though I suspect the original observation was made using II. Scientific Reports, despite being from the same stable as Nature, has an ethos of publishing stuff if it's scientifically correct, not whether it makes a significant contribution to the literature.

PS or perhaps not surprised, considering it's in Scientific Reports. Perhaps I should have said "unsurprised that got published because it's old news".
    why were you suprised that was published.