Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Drone genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    I suppose if we left it all up to the bees we might be back to the days of hives unable to deal with wax moth and carbolic cloths
    Can modern bees deal with carbolic cloths?

for the folk interested in say AMM breeding from a pure queen there might be a good reason to let the bees select as they will be likely to choose a larva with royal lineage rather than some distant relation with next to no royal hemolymph in her

Blog Entries

And don't forget this paper which suggests that there is selection going on between subspecies during mating flights.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    And don't forget this paper which suggests that there is selection going on between subspecies during mating flights.
    I like it as an explanation of how its possible to raise the bees you want in a hybridised area
    Still think its a bit of a challenge though

Blog Entries

Damn right it is a challenge!
    Just got a new site in a remote bee free area at 1000 feet so will be curious to see how the queens mate up there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    If you have the energy to read through this thread from 2010, you will see the false assumptions which are being made with regard to this Cork based project.
    jeez it took me two days to read all that my head is melted, Iam now convinced I know nothing about genetics. Note to oneself do not get involved in a discussion when you are out of your depth. When you weed out the slagging there was lots of interesting discussion thanks for the link.

Blog Entries

Regarding the slagging off, you might be interested to know that Eric and myself had a most agreeable lunch together at the recent SBA Convention in Elgin. He was on good form. After Tom Seeley's talk on home-finding in swarms, with tales of the 'difficult' resident on the island he was using, his chimney and the changed colour of scouts on a swarm he was watching, Eric came out with a great quip in the queue for lunch. 'Why do swarms like chimneys?' 'Because it soots them!'

It is a pity that YouTube took down the second Ivor Cutler video (on the instructions of a relative of his apparently). It was 'When the river bends', a song that warns of the dookings you might get if you don't pay attention to bends in the road ahead. Never assume the road is simply straight ahead.

Blog Entries

Good to hear. We are all adults and different opinions are also good to hear.

Blog Entries

Looks like FIBKA facebook page has unfriended me for questioning the project, so now we play???

Quote Originally Posted by Greengage View Post
    Looks like FIBKA facebook page has unfriended me for questioning the project, so now we play???
    You're better off out of it. Let them do their research, the results may even be valid for the best part of one season, meanwhile there's plenty of positive stuff in beekeeping to keep you occupied...