Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Queenless hive or not?

Hi Alan
    "26/7/16 - 8 sealed Qcells; 7 frames with sb;"
    They were replaced with a virgin on the 31/7/16

I think if that was going to have worked the queen would have mated within a week of being released and been laying within 10 days of that so a max of about 3 weeks

Your sealed brood will all be hatched long ago about 12 days or so after you found it sealed
    I'm guessing they were hatching about mid August so those bees are getting on for about 4 weeks old now

I think its too late for anything but a laying queen now
    You could combine them with another hive but that might be fairly pointless if the bees are all older

The problem still exists there possibly another duff queen in there
    I might be tempted try a small patch of lava or grafts to see if that still is the case because useless queens frequently disappear
    One day later you can see if they have made any starts
    Failing that sometimes smoke can help because the duff queen heads to the honey with the rest of the bees

Lots of queens stop laying at this time of year but with the queen cell issues etc I doubt that’s what’s happening here with your hive Alan
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 14-09-2016 at 10:12 AM.

Yes DR, I think you have summed it up nicely. I am used to Qs taking a laying break at this time of the year, but it has been the thought of a duff Q (we had a terrible wet July and August) being present that has had me dithering. I will try your tempter suggestion until the weather breaks then call time on the hive and make the best of things. Thanks.

Happy ending,
    DR - I did not try your tempter - a combination of other commitments and laziness setting.
    Feckless D - I fed syrup 12/9
    Jon - 20/9 there were three frames of sealed brood in a good pattern.
    Gavin - another rung on the learning curve climbed.
    Alan.

Blog Entries

There have been several perfect queen mating days in the past fortnight. I have had 10-15 queens from my last couple of grafts start to lay in the past week or so.

Thats great Alan a nice new queen lots of new brood
    At least it shows when they don't start cells they do have a queen
    Other than that I was 100% wrong
    I'm the Russell Grant of beekeeping lol

Quote Originally Posted by alancooper View Post
    I fed syrup 12/9
    Sounds promising. I would now feed some more! And get them set for winter now I guess.

DR- any predictions for what kind of winter Taurens are going to have?

30° in the shade ?

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk