Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: New Colonsay queens! - MiniPlus now, or direct introduce (hopefully) tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    When you see comb being built in jars or empty supers etc I thought they might have a preference to line up midway with the sun as it goes from east to West
    I must admit that it really wouldn't surprise me too much if it's eventually proven that there is some such mechanism. Doesn't stretch the imagination too far.

Blog Entries

Didn't Ian Rumsey (RIP) with his 'Pure and Simple' system find that the bees tended to align combs (given a free choice in a blank box) more according the orientation in their last home rather than anything else? DR, does your Apidea shelf face away from the main direction of your hives by 90 degrees?

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Didn't Ian Rumsey (RIP) with his 'Pure and Simple' system find that the bees tended to align combs (given a free choice in a blank box) more according the orientation in their last home rather than anything else? DR, does your Apidea shelf face away from the main direction of your hives by 90 degrees?
    Actually you might be right about that Gavin because the hive I stocked those mininucs from faced South
    The offending mininucs were on a shelf in light shade facing North
    Smith hives are not square and the entrance is (normally) on the long side
    So those combs would be running North to South
    The mininuc frames would be running East West
    You might have solved that puzzle

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk