Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ambrosia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Ambrosia

Can anybody tell me the best place to buy maybe 250ltr or 500ltrs of Ambrosia
    Is Britishbeefeeds still around ?
    They still advertise in SBA mag and have a website

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Yes, British Beefeeds are still here, DR - but they sell Apiinvert, not Ambrosia. I think you have to contact Lyle directly to find out about prices. Our association used to sell Ambrosia, but I don't know whether they bought it directly from Nordzucker or from where.
    Kitta

Thanks Kitta it is Apinvert right enough not ambrosia that's where I'm going wrong
    Got the details now

Blog Entries

Sad that this guy has lost so much syrup through vandalism.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news...00-honey-bees/

I don't see the need to exaggerate numbers though. Did he really import American syrup - is that what Mann Lake UK supplied?

12 hives ? That's a lot of American corn syrup

There was a program on BBC Scotland radio Friday about plan B did anyone else hear it ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    There was a program on BBC Scotland radio Friday about plan B did anyone else hear it ?

Yes, although it was Thursday.

Not sure I should really say what I think on here though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post

I caught a snippet from a food program but thought it was on Sat. To get a flavor of what Plan Bee get up to; here is some text from their web site where they explain how their services help the grouse shooting estates.

"Plan Bee offers a natural alternative for protecting the heather, gorse, broom and rowan, thereby helping to maintain grouse and hen-harriers’ food source and habitat.

The hives will be removed at the end of June and we charge on a per-acre basis. (This trouble-shooting pollination is already common practice in the US, particularly with almond trees that have a three-day pollination window. In the UK, Plan Bee is probably three to four years ahead of the game."

That's right. You remove the bees from the estates before the heather flowers. There must be something I am missing here -actually, reading the website does make me wonder about trading standards and advertising regulation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feckless Drone View Post
    There must be something I am missing here -actually, reading the website does make me wonder about trading standards and advertising regulation.
    The BFA runs a pollination service programme and actually does know what it is doing.

I was going to comment on the sustainability credentials of a company that relies so heavily on repeat imports ..... but ... I did say I wasn't going to get into this. What is clear is that the Kitchen Cafe piece (Thursdays repeated on Sunday) was great advertising for them.

There were some novel concepts
    Apparently it was Thursday right enough driving back from Edinburgh
    I was at Thornes sale on Friday and back in Edinburgh on Sat so got out of sync
    I hadn't heard much about plan B before (I thought they were a pop group)