Thread: Changed Orientation

Default Changed Orientation

Here's a question. Are there any issues if you change the orientation of a hive (cold to warm), during the season?

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

I converted all of mine in 2014, and they seemed to do fine. I also do it every time I expand a Paynes nuc to a deep box. I don't like doing it, but they've always seemed fine, so far. I expanded one a week or so ago: they're foraging like mad, happily clustering/drawing wax over another 3 foundationless frames, & they've stopped making queen cells.

I wouldn't do it towards the end of the season. Not once they've arranged themselves for winter.

Quote Originally Posted by darlo View Post
    Here's a question. Are there any issues if you change the orientation of a hive (cold to warm), during the season?

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

So, I have a question - has anyone tried modifying a Paynes nuc to give a side entrance for "warm way" orientation right from the start?

I have always used the 'cold' way. I often walk around the hive from one side to another as I move through the frames to reduce 'beekeepers back'

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Emma View Post
    So, I have a question - has anyone tried modifying a Paynes nuc to give a side entrance for "warm way" orientation right from the start?
    I guess that if you put the new hole on the feeder side you could create quite an obstacle race :-) On the other hand, feeder at the back might be appreciated by the bees. Or ignored by the bees.

The association apiary has a wooden nucleus donated by one of or more experienced beekeepers which has its entrance on the side. It is the only warm way box I run, OK except one National that was bought this summer from a deceased beekeeper's estate.