Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New extractor advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New extractor advice

Looking at buying a new extractor this year. Nothing fancy as I only have 5 hives but looking for something of good quality for a reasonable price. Any experience on suppliers and products would be welcome.
    Last edited by Silvbee; 05-07-2016 at 10:10 AM.

I've got a 9-frame Saf Natura motorised and am very pleased with it. Good value and well made.
    5 hives is - in my lazy view - well over what I'd want to extract manually. In a good year you might end up with ~150 frames. The novelty soon wears off.
    I bought mine from Bee Equipped.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    I've got a 9-frame Saf Natura motorised and am very pleased with it. Good value and well made.
    5 hives is - in my lazy view - well over what I'd want to extract manually. In a good year you might end up with ~150 frames. The novelty soon wears off.
    I bought mine from Bee Equipped.
    Looks great but out of my price range I'm afraid. It will have to be a manual but after a good quality one.

I have a Giordan where I fitted my own drill here:-

http://www.thebeebusiness.co.uk/range_extractors.php

Works well.

It might be worth holding on a little. Thrones have sale coming up and it is a fair bet that Mann Lake will be having one shortly, bearing in mind their current circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvbee View Post
    Looks great but out of my price range I'm afraid. It will have to be a manual but after a good quality one.
    I bought one of these this year..http://tinyurl.com/hccpaep

half price, used twice ebay. It takes Lang jumbos so good for anything. Easy to use: I extracted 1 Lang super and 2 Nat brood boxes in June: found it all very easy although manual..(but then I do lots of yoga/keep fit .. but if I as an OAP can use it..

The 50kg settling tank is very useful.. makes extraction less of a chore..

It's nicely built. I place on cardboard in the floor - easy to operate and if balanced does not move around.. I#d happily extract all my 20 supers in a pm.. if we get a summer, I may have to..

Quote Originally Posted by Silvbee View Post
    Thornes sale coming up
    I bought mine at a sale day a good few years ago and its still going strong
    They might not have any but if they do then they go very quickly

Cheers for the advice everyone. Think I'll hold out for the Thorne sale and see what's available. In the mean time if anyone sees a bargin I'd be keen to hear about it.

Latest is Mann lake's website is closed for new orders.
    Have they closed down completely?

They are reopening as bee equipment Ltd. There Facebook page has been changed to that and they are setting up an online store atm.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk