Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rainbow mini

Quote Originally Posted by Greengage View Post
    Thanks for that.
    GG when it's time to release the queen just take the white plug out at the front and let her find her way out
    If you take the Qx off the cassette front they are more likely to remove the eggs
    Lift the brown cups out using a white cup holder
    Leave the cassette in at the same time as the cell bar and if you have missed you can pick up replacements from the cassette next day

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Ok its all these little tips that help, Ill keep you posted as I am determined to make this work.

Blog Entries

As all the politicians say in this part of the world and the in phrase here is "I have skin in the game" so were back at the queen rearing again let you know in 48 hours. Tolerant lady this queen, fingers crossed.

Blog Entries

Success 8 out of 11 drawn down, On 27th transferred eggs to queen-less hive 8 out of 11 have been drawn down, I gently had a peek so will leave alone until 4th of June then place rollers on fingers crossed.
    Actually Iam running double brood boxes with the queen in the lower one with a QE between so the top half is queen less. That is where I placed the frame. if this works I will try grafting next time to see what happens.

Success 8 out of 11 drawn down, On 27th transferred eggs to queen-less hive 8 out of 11 have been drawn down, I gently had a peek so will leave alone until 4th of June then place rollers on fingers crossed.
    Actually Iam running double brood boxes with the queen in the lower one with a QE between so the top half is queen less. That is where I placed the frame. if this works I will try grafting next time to see what happens.
    Update due GG ?

Anybody else have the bees drawing wax in the feed compartment rather than use the third frame ( at the front)

Blog Entries

Smile

It has been pouring rain here from Sunday so I had a quick peek last night 6/6/17 and transferred two Q cells to Apidea with bees they are closed up in shed at moment watered, and will add syrup tomorrow. I thought they should have emerged yesterday so will have a peek tonight. Need to look in the Brood box again tonight if it stops raining but if they hatch they are confined in small roller cages, Attended a Queen rearing workshop last Sunday and I could ask all my silly questions also got a go at grafting so am going to try this next. Ill be in touch all tips and suggestions welcome. I will succeed (I hope)

It has been pouring rain here from Sunday so I had a quick peek last night 6/6/17 and transferred two Q cells to Apidea with bees they are closed up in shed at moment watered, and will add syrup tomorrow. I thought they should have emerged yesterday so will have a peek tonight. Need to look in the Brood box again tonight if it stops raining but if they hatch they are confined in small roller cages, Attended a Queen rearing workshop last Sunday and I could ask all my silly questions also got a go at grafting so am going to try this next. Ill be in touch all tips and suggestions welcome. I will succeed (I hope)
    GG I would use fondant rather than syrup
    The idea is to fill the food compartment before you put the bees in
    It lasts longer and doesn't attract too much attention from other bees
    The water is to keep them cool and help use the fondant

It's unusual for cells to hatch later than expected
    Using the cassette you pretty much get them exact
    Grafting sometimes you pick a slightly more mature larva than the rest
    That one can hatch a day earlier than planned

Best of luck with them
    It's a cliff hanger I can't wait to hear how it turns out
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Had quick peek last night in brood box with cells, Looks like were a day overdue. Hope its the weather though I doubt it. Anyway its raining again today and due to do so all day so it will be Friday morning again I get back, if nothing has emerged its back to the drawing board again. Ill try fondant next time in feeder. No one said its going to be easy. if this rain keeps up they will have consumed a lot of stores. Ah sure its all a learning experience. Thanks for your interest.

Had quick peek last night in brood box with cells, Looks like were a day overdue. Hope its the weather though I doubt it. Anyway its raining again today and due to do so all day so it will be Friday morning again I get back, if nothing has emerged its back to the drawing board again. Ill try fondant next time in feeder. No one said its going to be easy. if this rain keeps up they will have consumed a lot of stores. Ah sure its all a learning experience. Thanks for your interest.
    There are people like Jon who have this down to a fine art
    One thing I have done several times is to put the cages on too early
    Usually because of impending bad weather or bad note taking
    That can be just at the most vulnerable stage and they don't hatch