Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rainbow mini

Had a go at setting up the mini nucs - painted melted wax onto the starter strips, filled feeders (one with syrup, one with dry sugar dampened with water spray), added bees and kept closed up for 3 days. Had a look today but no wax drawn at all in either of them which was a bit disappointing! Am wondering if they need to have a queen or queen cell in there before they start drawing any comb? Had some cells ready to distribute today so made up some more mini nucs (this time with fondant) and added the cells, will keep them closed up for 3 days before setting out and hope for the best!

Blog Entries

With a mini nuc I put in the virgin first through the floor then tip a scoop of wet bees on top of her. I open up on the evening of the second day.
    If you are using queen cells make sure to keep closed until the queen has emerged from the cell.

Blog Entries

Exasperated............. First Apidea bees absconded, Second Queen hatched and F@@xxit she has now gone too, Maybe the thunder frightened her and the eggs that were there are gone too, this is not easy.
    Any back to the drawing board again I have eggs hatched today in a cup kit and one queenless colony now off to transfer eggs on to frame and place in queenless hive, lets see how this goes.

Yep, they seem a bit tricky! Putting a couple out and opening this evening - daft question but does it need to be getting dark before opening them up? Worried that they might all abscond if too early (getting dark quite late now). Hoping they have drawn some comb this time..heard some quacking noises from one of the nucs so hoping at least one of the queens is okay.

I have a couple of Rainbows. I insert QCs immediately after the bees. Spray twice a day with water through the underneath. And leave in cool dark garage for 3 days.. and set them out at c7.30pm. I open them when it is dark - about 9.30pm.The gap gives them a period to rest after the stress of moving and being bungeed in place (I use bungee cords to wrap round post and a wooden top and bottom (flat boards to hold them on a post and protect form the sun.),

None absconded so far..

(I do the same with all mini nucs - Kielers, Mann Lake and Apidea, and home made of course)

I have modified my Rainbows to front entrance and blocked up the bottom entrance. I use cork to bridge the hole in the front two walls to prevent bees escaping into the cavity .IMG_0380.JPGIMG_0379.JPG
    Last edited by madasafish; 19-05-2017 at 03:25 PM.

Blog Entries

Ok Stage 1 part 4 Action.
    This time transferred eggs from cup kit onto frame added to queenless hive now lets see how this goes.

With the cupkit I let the eggs hatch and transfer the one day old larvae
    I have never had success with just eggs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Correct that didnt work either, Start again left cupkit in for bees to do their thing, will remove it in 24/48 hours place queen in it again and wait for eggs to hatch, On day 4/5 will place it back in queen-less hive and see how that goes.Ill be in touch.

With the cupkit I spray with a honey and water solution before placing it in the hive with the queen I am going to use for the bees to clean the cupkit and get the hive scent
    I then place the queen in for 24 hrs then take a cup out the back to check if she has laid eggs. If not I leave her another 24 hrs as sometimes the queen will go off laying
    When I see eggs in the cups I release the queen back into the hive and leave the cupkit for the eggs to hatch
    3/4 days from when you saw the eggs I check the cupkit for 1 day old larvae. If you check the back of the cup you will see a small milky substance in the bottom of the cup.
    These are the cups I then place on the bar frame for insertion into a queenless hive

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Thanks for that.