Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rainbow mini

When I get one I was thinking I'd get some clear Perspex like on the polynucs and then cut a little hole in the corner above the feeder so you can get a look in and fill up the feed without having to disturb the bees too much, I make that cut on my polynucs and it works well, except when they build brace in the feeder and block the float bar........

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Hi Adam
    the entrance is underneath like the one on keilers when you slide the floor back a bit
    I have one keiler and that was entered by wasps as an up and under (remember Eddie Waring and rugby league?) as there was a small gap underneath as the floor wasn't quite right across the entrance hole. Of course with bees inside it you don't look underneath to check every day. Result: dead colony

Well, having had the time to play around with the one which came our way I can now confirm that we got three mated queens out of it, one still waiting to be used and two now well established in their own full size nucs. So although it was a very different set up and management style to what we usually use I can't really fault these little boxes (even though they wouldn't be my first choice), @£8.50 they're unquestionably good value.

032.jpg033.jpg

Hi prakel
    I have six of the multicoloured little devils and I think they are perfect for summer mating
    When fairly close together queens can find their way home without straying off into the one next door
    Feed compartment is small and they don't have much frame space (a bit like apideas )
    No chance whatever of overwintering one but even double height keilers are not reliable getting queens through
    3 queens that's about £100 worth so the £8.50 was a good investment 😊

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I have been painting my Apideas before packing them away for winter.
    I am going to use at least 5 colours and mixing up the roofs, sliding doors and main bodies should provide a lot of unique colour combinations.

3 queens per unit is a good result prakel.
    That's over £100 worth for an £8.50 investment.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    3 queens that's about £100 worth so the £8.50 was a good investment ��
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    3 queens per unit is a good result prakel.
    That's over £100 worth for an £8.50 investment.
    Must say I've been pleased with the results -I was a litle doubtful whether my rough and tumble beekeeping abilities would translate very well to this type of box .

Blog Entries

It's been a pretty good year for queen rearing and most of my final batch of grafts have just started to lay this week.

Been a good year for all aspects of beekeeping in these parts with what was the longest sustained flow I've ever known!

Bought a couple of these recently, looking forward to trying them out. Have tried mini nucs a couple of times in the past without much luck, but think I know where I went wrong - looking forward to having another go this year

Quote Originally Posted by tonel View Post
    Bought a couple of these recently, looking forward to trying them out. Have tried mini nucs a couple of times in the past without much luck, but think I know where I went wrong - looking forward to having another go this year
    I hope that they work well for you. I was happy enough with last year's results to add an extra nine through the winter.