Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AFB in South Aberdeenshire

Blog Entries

Default AFB in South Aberdeenshire

Two apiaries in the St Cyrus area have been found to be infected with AFB.

http://news.scotland.gov.uk/News/Bee...rmed-2576.aspx

G.

I just had an efb alert for south Queensferry today as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Is the AFB on a Bee Farm or a hobbyist situation anyone know?

PH

Blog Entries

I've just had an EFB alert for the Errol area too. No, Pete, I don't know but there is only one bee farm in that area so it is either him or a hobbyist with at least two apiaries. If I did know I wouldn't be saying - I just publicise my own cases .

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    I've just had an EFB alert for the Errol area too. No, Pete, I don't know but there is only one bee farm in that area so it is either him or a hobbyist with at least two apiaries. If I did know I wouldn't be saying - I just publicise my own cases .
    May yer bees flee lang !

The EFB alert for South Queensferry is a single outlier, and very light too, at one of my poly apiaries in the Mid and West Lothian range. We have several cases, but. as usual, they are very much centred on Broxburn. Its always centred there for some reason.

Two sites have had cases every year since the EFB outbreak started......even if its different bees with a previously clean record that go there. As related by the inspectors at the recent training day however, each year it is getting less and less severe, and although our overall cases numbers are marginally up this year on last, the hive numbers are up even more, so the overall percentage rate gets lower too.

Gavin...no idea where the Errol alert came from. Have plenty sites round there, all are registered, and not had an alert. Outside the Lothian group we have thus far had a single outlier in a wooden Langstroth at Kilgraston, so perhaps your alert relates to something nearer to there?

I was alerted a week ago by the owner of the AFB colonies in South Aberdeenshire and it is not a situation others need be nervous of. It has been dealt with and may well have something to do with an outbreak not far from there in recent years.

Thanks for that Murray.

PH

Blog Entries

There are two guys who have had EFB in recent years with bees N of the A90 so I guess the Errol cases are coming from there. The alert tells you which of your apiaries is close to a confirmed case. The 3km circle would miss the apiaries of yours that I know about. Incidentally I was called out to a swarm beside an Errol footpath a few days ago. Having been out in the rain a few days they were not pleased to see me!

Ah, so they are yours at Kilgraston. I have an apiary to the west beyond the 3km circle.

I'm using this to draw 3km circles. http://obeattie.github.io/gmaps-radius/
    Last edited by gavin; 15-06-2016 at 02:38 PM.

I have nothing between Errol and Longforgan this year. I suppose if you dropped a case in the middle of that gap I would not hear about it but you would.

Blog Entries

When the Bee pest Ireland bill was passed in 1908 there was a fine of £5 that equates to £540 in todays money, (according to google calculator)There is no penalty today, Nor is there anyone to Know. Now before you start telling me its the law and you should and must do this I know, but there are lots of Keepers of bees who are outside all regulation, Neither members of clubs or affiliated to organisations. Because we have no Inspection I doubt if lots would know what to look for, I know keepers of bees who still cannot see eggs or tell the differance between queens and drones.
    http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/l...t-ireland-bill