Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Queen-rearing in a queen-right colony

Blog Entries

Kate - cell starter colonies were going really well during the recent warm weather both queenless and queenright cell starters.
    If they were not starting many cells there must have been some other problem.
    Mine were starting around 17/20 grafts.

Hi madasafish
    Good cell protector I must make one

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Thanks Kate, I've copied the article and will keep it handy for my next attempt. Jon, good weather has been patchy on my hill - but I don't think that was a problem. More likely clumsy fingers or larvae drying out, or something else ...

(Those floppy queen excluders do have their uses, I see!)

Kitta

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    Thanks Kate, I've copied the article and will keep it handy for my next attempt. Jon, good weather has been patchy on my hill - but I don't think that was a problem. More likely clumsy fingers or larvae drying out, or something else ...

(Those floppy queen excluders do have their uses, I see!)

Kitta
    Hi kitta
    some bees are not that keen as a cell raisers
    If you are using the ben harden (queeright) method putting the super between the brood box and the cell raiser doesn't hurt
    If you are using the chinese tool (made thinner) I find going in from the part of the cell nearest the top bar is best (they slope)
    That seems more awkward but the larva is less likely to touch the wall on the way out
    Because its hard to get good light I don't really look for the larva now just the wet glistening patch at the bottom of the cell
    Once I have scooped it with the tool I have a look at my larva before putting it in the cup
    I'm no great shakes grafting I have 18 mininucs with virgins and 10 cells with cages at the moment
    Now the new wax has been drawn and firmed up a bit I'll be doing some punching

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Thanks, John, for some useful tips I wasn't aware of - especially going in from the top.
    Kitta