Thread: Vintage Extractor

Default Vintage Extractor

I wonder if any of our members has come across an extractor like this. I found it in our bothy when we moved in 20 years ago and I reconditioned it and have used it successfully in the past. It will take 4 deep and 4 shallow frames, or 8 shallow frames and is manual. The direction of spin can be changed to avoid having to reverse the frames. The design appears to be an offset radial type but I cannot find any references on the internet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

That's an interesting set-up, David - and no, I've never seen one like that before.
    Kitta

Blog Entries

Me neither. I suppose it can pack more comb into a smaller area with an arrangement like that. However with the centre of gravity (?!) closer to the middle the centrifugal force will be weaker for a certain turning speed.

Blog Entries

interesting design. I'd have thought the bigger concern than the weaker force is that it's not Stainless Steel.

Yes - you're right Neils. I haven't used it for several years and the preparation of honey must be hygienic. Better the polythene or stainless extractors (with and without motors). Still a curio and I'd like to know more about it.

Blog Entries

It's certainly an interesting find and I can't say I've seen that particular design before either. I will try and remember to show those photos to one of the guys down here, if anyone I can think of is likely to know anything about it it'll be him.