Thread: New queen loose somewhere.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default New queen loose somewhere.

Hive 1,On Friday last had new queen emerge from supercedure cell. Went through hive and removed all other queen cells. I assumed everything would be ok. Because it was supercedure the old together in the hive until the new one was mated.
    Sunday the hive swarmed found old queen on ground outside and placed her in Nuc wiith some stores and frames of bees.
    Rechecked the first hive (Hive1) and found another sealed queen cell, which I missed on previous inspection, so left that in place with a posible new unclipped queen in Hive Why?
    Because I could not locate the new queen (Unmated) so dont know if she is in there or not. She could have been transferred to Nuc.
    Anyway in setting up the Nuc I now do not know if the new Queen was accidently transfered into the nuc with the Old Queen or if she is still in the other hive.
    So I now have a Hive wiith a sealed cell and a posible new queen in there.
    I have a Nuc with an old queen and posibly a newly hatched unmated queen.
    What is liable to happen Now?
    If the new queen is in Hive 1 with a sealed queen cell is it likely to swarm again or will the new queen kill the sealed queen.
    If I only have a sealed queen cell she will emerge and get mated and all will be well.
    In the nuc if I have only the old queen all should be well as she is a last years queen.
    In the Nuc if I have two queens an old queen an a newly emerged queen from the supercedure will it swarm.
    What do you think will happen. As a lecture once said to me Discuss, I went DOOOH
    Appreciate any advice tks.
    Last edited by Greengage; 16-05-2016 at 08:21 AM.