On the 6th I added a frame of eggs and young larvae to a terminally queenless colony (a failed unite) - the latter contained nothing but sealed brood and polished cells. The added frame only had eggs and larvae on one side and this was marked. There was no sign of laying workers.

On quickly checking today there are a few scruffy queen cells on the added frame, all sealed but not looking particularly tempting. Actually rubbish. On the frame facing the added eggs/larvae are a couple of pretty good sealed QC's, both of which I'd be reasonably happy with. It was too cold to do anything more than have a cursory glance or check other frames.

I can only assume the workers moved eggs or larvae onto their 'own' frame. Of course the nightmare scenario is that a small number of laying workers have started and these have been developed into QC's.

I'm intending to knock back all the unconvincing QC's on the added frame and hope it was moved eggs/larvae.

I've very rarely added frames to 'rescue' a failed colony, usually I either unite or directly requeen. This was a failed unite already - the added colony killed the recipient colony queen - and I've been away so had no other options.

Has anyone else good evidence for colonies moving eggs or young larvae about?

PS I also rarely find the odd capped drone larvae in honey supers and assume these are from laying workers. Any views?