Thread: Pollen Quality.

Blog Entries

Default Pollen Quality.

I have read that there are some downsides to honey bees foraging on the same crop (Mono crops) , having only one type of pollen as a food source can lead to certain nutrient deficiencies, If the crop is of low pollen quality therefore most of the pollen being brought back will also be of low quality until the crop has finished flowering, Also if the crop has been treated with pesticide that resides in the pollen honey bees may also die from an over dose when they consume the pollen or feed brood small doses of it.
    What crops would be noted for low pollen quality, While OSR, Dandelions, Apples would be noted for their Nectar qualities but what about Pollen quality from these sources.
    Second question has anyone experience of Pesticides being brought back which would be in the pollen. Thanks.
    Last edited by Greengage; 06-05-2016 at 08:41 AM. Reason: edit spelling hope I corrected everything.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Greengage View Post
    I have read that there are some downsides to honey bees foraging on the same crop (Mono crops) , having only one type of pollen as a food source can lead to certain nutrient deficiencies, ...
    The bees will search for a varied diet. That's what I've noticed whenever my bees are on OSR. They're not just foraging the OSR.
    Kitta

Geri Wright in Newcastle University is conducting a review of pollen quality based on her studies of the dietary needs of bees. I don't know if there's anything published yet on on the web, but it might be worth a look.