Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If AFB is identified ... ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    RoI does not have a functional bee inspectorate but given the amount of time they have for inane bureaucracy I doubt they would take someone's word on anything.
    In the North the bee inspector would want a piece of comb for lab testing. They may allow something similar in RoI.
    Ruary Rudd will know.
    Theoretically, the sample of comb should be sent to the Teagasc Laboratory for checking. I am not sure that they still use microscopy to confirm (have a feeling that Lateral Flow device is sued) and they will report to Department for further action. I am in a slightly different position as I use a microscope and would report direct to the Department.
    Follow up in the past has been ridiculously slow (stories of one beekeeper with a sealed hive for over a year, which was when the local authority vet was supposed to follow up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Black Comb View Post
    From talks given by the bee inspector afb would only be confirmed with a lateral flow device. He/She may also send away for analysis.
    I understand the English situation is that the LFD kit is sent tot he laboratory and the spores can be checked from the liquid

Blog Entries

"local authority vet was supposed to follow up" He she will not turn up as they are not paid for time or mileage by Dept they will take your word that you destroyed the hive, Give him a ring and see if iam right.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greengage View Post
    "local authority vet was supposed to follow up" He she will not turn up as they are not paid for time or mileage by Dept they will take your word that you destroyed the hive, Give him a ring and see if iam right.
    Well if he was a local authority Vet then mileage would have been paid by the Local Authority.
    However there is a new set of regulations and I don't know how they will be enforced by the Department.
    In the past I have destroyed colonies and then reported to the Local Authority Vet and was told off by him as he said he should have witnessed the destruction. Obviously different County Councils have acted in different manners, and in fact in my experience when one Vet retires his successor was not as diligent.